Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Too few reviews -- how to get more?

I've been around for a few years now and yet have very few reviews for my apps, whereas there are ppl with similar download rates who have a lot more reviews.  It's something like 1 review per 2,000 downloads, to 1 per 20,000.

Is there something wrong with my vendor account?  Several times when I tried submitting a review to my own product (just to start it off with a rating at launch), it said "Unable to add review, please try again later."  I wonder if customers are usually seeing the same.

How many of you (with lots of reviews) take extra steps such as popping up a dialog asking them to leave a review -- or do the reviews just come to you?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Too few reviews -- how to get more?

What's your app, I'll give it a try.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I would think the rate varies widely for several reasons, one of which is whether the app is free. Free apps would get far more impulse downloads from people who really have no intention of using the app for long, and who delete it and erase it from their memories moments after first running it.

My ratio for Battery Guru (paid PlayBook app), which I think isn't that great, is 1:50, or under 2% of people leaving reviews.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

I know from the fact that some developers paid users to leave a positive comment.   Some devs will even change their paid app to free so that users can leave reviews.  Once they get enough good reviews they switch it back to paid.

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

Yeah it's just weird when it's being downloaded 2500 times a day and there's maybe 1 review a week.

Look at some of the games that make so much money, their free versions get away with as much as they can without actually driving you to delete the app... for example popping up a window saying please support us with a rating, popping up a window with an ad banner saying please click to support us, and ...expecially... making it very difficult to exit the app without accidentally clicking the ad banner.  You spend 40 seconds just trying to see whether you're selecting YES, NO, or the ad banner, and even then it's set so sensitive that when you try to click YES you often click the ad banner or get stuck in the app because it clicked NO.  It's like a mall, designed as a trap.  You didn't really want to leave, did you?  Play again.  Click more ads by accident.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

@silver20, you cannot post reviews from a sandbox account, so if you have registered your mail (BBID) as sandbox account you will see such error. You can try to buy/download your app with a simulator, it usually works

Re: reviews, I have an app 2 years old with thousands of downloads with 20 reviews, another one is 2 months old with like 100 downloads with 25 reviews, both are paid, go figure :/

I'm trying a new approach lately - to release an app as free with basic functionality, to gather enough reviews (and feedback what users really want) and to release ver 2.0 as paid upgrade, converting the app to a paid one.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

QuiteSimple wrote:
@silver20, you cannot post reviews from a sandbox account, so if you have registered your mail (BBID) as sandbox account you will see such error. You can try to buy/download your app with a simulator, it usually works

Re: reviews, I have an app 2 years old with thousands of downloads with 20 reviews, another one is 2 months old with like 100 downloads with 25 reviews, both are paid, go figure :/

I'm trying a new approach lately - to release an app as free with basic functionality, to gather enough reviews (and feedback what users really want) and to release ver 2.0 as paid upgrade, converting the app to a paid one.

Hehe.. I tried trial before. Just too much trouble.

I hope you release v2 quick before RIM no more. :Censored:

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

Someone should figure out how to make the app's free version expire like a trial until they leave a review, then re-activate.  Would be cool if RIM added a property RIM_APP_WORLD_REVIEW_SUBMITTED.  You could keep prompting them to leave a review until they've done so, or use that property like an activation of the free version after the initial trial period.  Even if they uninstall and reinstall, it would still serve like a free version's license key...

Wishful thinking.  Platform is almost dead, I don't think we'll be getting any more features.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

The percentage of users leaving reviews is much higher the first one or two months after the app is released. After that one review per thousand downloads isn't too uncommon.

As other have mentioned you could increase reviews by bugging users with in-app popups, but (lets be honest here) that would make you a terrible person, writting software that people hate.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

So the trick is to make them not mind being bugged, like the successful salesman who started as an annoyance at the door and ended up getting your business, your goodwill, and some referrals.

Please use plain text.