Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Too many IDs I'm very confused!

Hi

I'm new to BB dev and have been working on an app using the Simulator. Now I want to test out on my own phone but going around in circles. Could someone explain, in simple terms what each of these IDs are for.

Debug token

Author ID

Blackberry ID

CSJ Pin

Signing Keys

Blackberry ID token

The online Docs just send me round and around.

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Too many IDs I'm very confused!

Here's a couple of lines for each one.  If you need more info for any let me know.

Debug token - Install on a device to let you run unsigned applications you create.  Tied to a developer and a device.

Author ID - This is the company name shown on the device as the author of the application.  It's shown on various security prompts and in the application permissions in the Settings app.

BlackBerry ID - BlackBerry ID authentication system used to control access to various BlackBerry resources.  Third party applications can also make use of it. 

CSJ PIN - PIN you enter on this form and then when registering your CSJ files used to configure your BlackBerry Code Signing Keys.  You only use this PIN once.

Signing Keys - Used to sign an application, identify its author and ensure it hasn't been modified since the developer built it.  Replaced with BlackBerry ID Tokens for BlackBerry 10.2 SDKs.

BlackBerry ID Token - Replacement for signing keys.  It is used to identify your BlackBerry ID account, which identifies you when signing an application.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I have more questions :smileyhappy:

So do you have to get a debug code for both the Simulator (which I have been using and works well) AND for a mobile if you want to test on (which is what I want to do now).

For the Author ID can I create anything I like here. For example if my reg'd company with Blackberry is "Click Me Limited" could I just add to the Author ID "Click Me" or does it have to be exactly the same as the reg'd company name?

Is the Blackberry ID in an email format?

I think I need to get another debug token as I get an error message which includes: No more registrations, order new set of keys at: blackberry.com/go/codesigning 

However when on that page (it diverts to: https://www.blackberry.com/SignedKeys/codesigning.html) firstly it says it is to order Keys and not Tokens. But when I click on 'For Blackberry 10 apps...' (the first checkbox) it takes me to a page to create Blackberry ID token, which is for 10.2 not 10.1 which I am currently using.

Does that makes sense?

Stuart

My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

No problem, we're here to help.  :smileyhappy:

You do not need a debug token for the simulator, only a real device.

You can use whatever you like as your Author ID.  It doesn't have to match anything, but I'd recommend you use the same thing that you use in the BlackBerry World Vendor Portal for consistency for your users.

The login for BlackBerry ID is an email address.

That error occurs when trying to register a CSJ (used to configure code signing keys) more than once.  You only do that once and then you can sign as many applications as you like and create as many debug tokens as you like. 

The code signing self help pages can direct you to the documentation to create a debug token for the IDE you are using.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker