Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
lcamobile
My Device: 9800, 9630
My Carrier: Rogers

Try&Buy Question

Hello all,

We are planning to implement Try & Buy on our Guitar Studio app, which is already available through App World. I've been reading the posts here and elsewhere, and I'm just looking for confirmation on the info I've gathered.

1)  We use dynamic licensing, so RIM will issue Trial versions with no license key? So we will code our app to go into a "Trial" mode when it is run with no license. Is this correct?

2) If a user proceeds to buy the full version after using the Trial, I presume we will be contacted for a license key in the normal way?

3) Our current release version is 1.0, our version with Trial code included will be say 1.1. After this new version is approved, will we need to delete the original release from our vendor portal or will the upgraded version automatically take over for all future downloads?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

LCAMobile Inc.

www.lcamobile.com

Please use plain text.
Developer
lcamobile

Re: Try&Buy Question

Well, we've gone through this process, and I thought I would update this thread incase anyone else is looking for info about this.

As I said in the previous post, we're using Dynamic Licensing, and had released version 1.0 a week ago.

So, we built some demo functionality into our app that would limit some features when the app is run with no license. Submitted the new version to App World for approval. The approval came through in less than 24 hours, which was great. We then went into the vendor portal and switched our license mode to Try & Buy.

After that, some interesting things happened. On our test phones, the new version of the app showed up right away in App World. What was strange was that in the "search list" it showed "+ Free Trial" beside our app, but on the details page it did not have a download trial button. The download trial button did not show up for almost 2 full days, which I assume is how long it took for our carrier to update App World. It seemed strange that parts of the App World had updated, but other parts had not, and this had us worried that we had done something wrong.

Also, one of our test phones received an email stating that an update was available, but when attempting to get the update, the server just kept giving us V1.0 back for about 12 hours, at which point it switched over and sent us the correct new version.

Anyway, it's been 3 days now and everything seems to be back in sync and working well. The Try & Buy functionality seems to work well (at least for the Dynamic License mode). We've had many downloads of the demo version so far and it also looks like most of our original 1.0 purchasers have updated to the new version.

So basically, if you make this switch be prepared for a few days of confusion, but with a positive outcome in the end. Hopefully this little bit of info will help someone. If anyone has any questions about the whole App World process I'd be glad to try and help out. We just went through this start to finish for the first time and have learned quite a bit from where we were a few weeks ago.

Jason

LCA Mobile Inc.

www.lcamobile.com

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
enlai_chu
My Device: Not Specified

Hello,

Did you ever try to update a trial version of your app? We can't seem to find any way to update the trial version with a newer trial version with some bugs fixed.

Thanks,
Enlai

Please use plain text.
Developer
lcamobile

enlai_chu wrote:

Hello,

Did you ever try to update a trial version of your app? We can't seem to find any way to update the trial version with a newer trial version with some bugs fixed.

Thanks,
Enlai

In our case, the trial version and full unlocked version are in the same .cod. The only difference is whether a valid license key is present.

We have updated our program twice over the last month for bug fixes and enhancements, with no  issues. We simply submit a new version for approval, with incrementing version numbers. For us, updates have been approved within 24 hours or so.

If you have separate versions for your Trial and Full releases, I'm not sure how that works. sorry.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jefero

Hi

Thanks a lot for your report. We are also interested in release our application with a license Try & Buy and Dynamic generation, I'd like to make you some questions:

We will submit to AppWorld only one app that will work as try or buy depending on if it has a license or not, right. My question is, how the client downloads the application? I mean:

a. Can the client chose downloading the trial version or the full version? or the client only can download the trial version?

b. If the client can chose downloading the trial version or the full version, if the client chose directly the full version he would be sent the application and the license number, isn't it?

c. What happen then if the client chose downloading the trial version and in the future wants to get the full version? what does the client needs to do to get the full version, go to AppWorld and buy it or could he buy it directly from inside the application? If the client must to go to AppWorld to buy the full version will the application be downloaded again (the client has the application yet because he tested the trial version)?

Of course if the answer to question "a" is "the client only can download the trial version", questions "b" and "c" don't need to be answered.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
lcamobile

Hi there,

I'll try to answer your questions:

a) If you're on try & buy in this way, the customer will see two buttons in app world. "Purchase" and "Download Trial".

b) If the customer chooses to purchase right away, the paypal transaction will be completed, then a license is issued and the app is downloaded.

c) If the customer has the trial, they can simply go into "My World" or back to the app world page for the product and click on the "Purchase" button. A license will be retrieved at this point. The app does not need to be re-downloaded if they already had the trial and the version is the same. If you want to sell from inside your own app, there are different was you can do this. We provide a "Buy Now" button which has web links to all the ways to buy our app. ie. App World, Direct from our own website, Mobihand, etc. I think launching the web browser to your products app world page is a good choice. The page that comes up on the mobile device has simple links for "install app world" or "open this app in app world".

You will be responsible to code the dynamic license server to issue licenses, and some way for the customer to enter the license into your app once they have it.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jefero

Hi lucamobile

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

lcamobile wrote:

c) If the customer has the trial, they can simply go into "My World" or back to the app world page for the product and click on the "Purchase" button. A license will be retrieved at this point. The app does not need to be re-downloaded if they already had the trial and the version is the same.

So, I suppose that App World knows that the client has already the trial version installed and that is the reason why in that case App World doesn't send the application again to the client. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.