Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
azoc
My Device: Torch 9800, Tour 9630
My Carrier: VZW

URGENT: Only one App World app can be installed at a time; each use same common library

Hi guys, we're having a new problem with 3 releases that just went into App World. They are virtually the same app but with different branding and application identifiers. They all rely on the same common library that ships with each app. Our customer says that they can install one, but when they install another they're prompted to restart. After the restart, the app they installed first is gone. The idea here is they want all 3 to be installed simultaneously. In our testing using BlackBerry Desktop Software, we were able to install all 3 at once. But it doesn't work when the apps are obtained from App World. The customer wants an update ASAP, so your urgent reply is much appreciated.. thank you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: URGENT: Only one App World app can be installed at a time; each use same common library

If you have the same apps in the same product ID eg: releases then they wil be treated as the same app.

Also you should use different names for each app and not name it the same.

Try creating a new app for each.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
azoc

Re: URGENT: Only one App World app can be installed at a time; each use same common library

Thanks, but that's not my issue. The apps are separate in App World; they are named differently and have different IDs.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
azoc

bump

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Can you give more details? Is it a smartphone app or PlayBook app? Names of the bundles of the three apps? Name of the common library? How did you upload it?

If you don't want to reveal the real names, just give an example like MyApp1.cod, MyApp2.cod

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Contributor
azoc

They're Java smartphone apps. The app titles and filenames are all unique, i.e., Brand1.cod, Brand2.cod, Brand3.cod. Each was uploaded with the same library, SharedLibrary.cod. They were uploaded via the App World Vendor Portal.

We can install all 3 simultaneously using Desktop Manager, but App World only allows one to be installed at a time. You can install Brand1.cod/SharedLibrary.cod without issue. When you install Brand2.cod/SharedLibrary.cod, you're prompted to reboot. After reboot, Brand2 is installed but Brand1 is gone. And vice versa.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

Few more questions

1) How do you create Brand1.cod, Brand2.cod etc.? Are they different projects or you use one and the same project and rename the resulting .cod file to _1.cod, _2.cod etc?

2) After installing Brand2 app (and before the restart) you should have seen a message like "Module ... will be replaced". Which module(s) were listed in the message?

3) After installing Brand2 app can you check in the list of applications if Brand1 app is still there (just type "application" in Universal search to get to the list) ? Also switch to module view (menu Modules) and check if Brand1.cod is still in the list 

4) Have you tried an OTA install via webserver? You will need to tweak the JAD file for this test (search forums for how to use updateJad utility)

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Contributor
azoc

Thanks for the help.

1) We create the apps using the BlackBerry Eclipse Plugin. Build, Sign, Package. It's one and the same project, we simply change the output file name in the BlackBerry Application Descriptor for each brand.

2) I don't get this message. I install Brand1 and don't get a reboot prompt. Going into the application properties, I see Brand1, Modules: (2) brand1, shared_library. I install Brand2 and get these dialogs in this order: "Brand2 was succcessfully installed. Show on BBM checked. Run, Close." Something about upgrading BlackBerry Messenger to share the app. Then "Choose Restart Now to complete the installation or Restart Later to continue downloading applications. When you are finished, restart your device. Restart Now, Restart Later." App World prompts me again to restart when I go to close it. That's it.

3) After installing Brand2, Brand1 is gone from both the application list and the module list, even before rebooting. All I see is Brand2, Modules: (2) brand2, shared_library.

4) I tried this but got a 906 Invalid Descriptor trying to install one of the apps. Followed all the OTA tutorials out there to a tee.

Again, when installing via Desktop Software, all 3 apps can be installed simultaneously.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

I suspect that 1) might be the issue.

I assume that Brand_.cod are more than 64 KB, which means that COD files are actually archives containing small sibling cod files. Can you open each of the Brand_.cod (open it with WinRar or WinZip) and check what are the names of the sibling cod files?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
azoc

Yes, they are larger than 64KB. The sibling cod files are all the same name as the archive cod. brand1-1.cod all the way through brand1-50.cod. brand2-1.cod through brand2-50.cod. brand3-1.cod through brand3-50.cod.

Please use plain text.