Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

Updated App World Agreements, from 80% revenue share to 70%...

Hi guys,
I received an email from RIM that inform me that soon App world will support Credit card and carrier distribution and than they will lower our revenue share from 80% to 70%.

What do you think about it?

JSanders
Solutions: 5,979
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Updated App World Agreements, from 80% revenue share to 70%...

I'm not a developer, but I personally hope you triple and quadruple your business by the additional markets opened up to you by the CC and carrier distribution channels.

Hopefully, larger market = more sales = increased profits.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
sblantipodi

to jsanders: thanks bro...

is there someone who know if we need to do something, sign some agreement and when the new revenue share will be applyed?

Developer
br14

Not so sure this is something to get excited about. In fact it could well be something to get angry about.

Firstly, there's no way of knowing whether people will buy more apps using the new payment options. It may just drive the PayPal payers to carriers.

Secondly, have you seen the rates Bango charge?

If everyone that currently buys via PayPal buys via Bango, in many cases your sales will have to double in order to see the same revenue.

I've had some customers that wanted to pay by credit card (which I was able to manage perfectly well), but not that many.

Don't be fooled by the 70% amount and think this isn't so bad compared to others. Check out the Bango rates posted on the other thread.

Developer
sblantipodi

where are the bango rates posted in the other thread?

I can't find it.

Developer
jonberry

JSanders wrote:

I'm not a developer, but I personally hope you triple and quadruple your business by the additional markets opened up to you by the CC and carrier distribution channels.

Hopefully, larger market = more sales = increased profits.

I hope you're right, but I don't think this is necessarily true.

Most of our BlackBerry customers are in North America.

Adding other countries where users may have less disposable income may not increase sales.

Also, language differences can make support difficult and time consuming, adding to costs.

More important than carrier billing would be getting app world pre-installed on all devices, IMO.

Developer
sblantipodi

whats about bango rates?

as far as I understand bango will manage transactions over credit card, am I right?
what is the revenue share with bango?

when will we change from normal revenue share to the new one?

Contributor
puguasoft
My Device: Nexus One (Android)

I don't think it's that bad. Actually, I would rather prefer the larger customer base with a 10% decrease in shared revenue.

There have been times where we have had customers email us about alternative to buying our apps from App World because 1) It's yet not available in their country, 2) They don't have a PayPal account or want to pay via credit card, or 3) Because they think App World is **bleep** and rather not deal with it.  

In all cases, we had to direct them to our apps on sale at MobiHand and Handango.  As you probably know by now, both those store vendors keep a 20-40% share of your revenue.  That being said, App World taking a 30% share is not bad at all.

Like I mentioned, the additional market share is a very much welcomed.

~Chris
PuguaSoft LLC