Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
RockAlmeida
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: 3G
Accepted Solution

Users can't install my app's update, and can't reinstall the app.

[ Edited ]

I have an app in App World, at the first time, it's a free app (ver: 0.9), but later I changed it to a paid app. Recently I released a new version of this app (ver: 1.0), and set upgrade price to free.

But the users who installed my app when it's free can't install the update!

I Can't download the update. I keep getting the following error "There was a problem installing...please try again." I've retried many times and reset my device but nothing works.
software shows an update to Version 1.0 from .9 however,
the update errors out and fails to download.

They have tried delete the app first, but they can't reinstall it, even if they want to purchase, but App World don't allow them to do that!

I tried uninstalling it and now I can't reinstall it. ???
I can not even reinstall from appworld.
Let alone purchase.
but i try to paid for it and when i go to do it, it dont allow me

It's really strange, what should I do?

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Users can't install my app's update, and can't reinstall the app.

I feel your pain, but you can't do much. It is a known issue with AppWorld when switching from free to paid, therefore this option is no more available for vendors.

The only way to mitigate the damage is to push a paid upgrade, let's say version 1.1. Make sure that the paid upgrade price matches the original app price, otherwise it would be confusing for the users.

Advantages of such approach:

- User who want to pay will be able to download the upgrade, you get some cash

Disadvantages:

- You'll get a lot of negative reviews from users who have it as free version

- The ones who have already purchased the app as paid will have to pay for upgrade too

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
RockAlmeida
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: 3G

Re: Users can't install my app's update, and can't reinstall the app.

I have reported the issue use vendor support, and create a new product, a copy of that app, same title, same price, I decided to guide old users to download the copy, I hope the RIM guys can approve the copy quickly. If they don't want to use the new version, they can still use the old version, it is already working very good, new version just added some new features.

Please use plain text.