Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

Vendor Help: Payments

With all new registered vendors probably the questions about  "how and when do I get paid" will raise again and again. I collected some info from the forums (and my own experience), please comment if you find something wrong or misleading.

Vendor Payments

Payment in general

To start selling apps in AppWorld you need to have a valid PayPal account (no matter the type - Personal, Premier or Business). After that you have to agree to the Terms and Conditions of Digital River (DRI) and Bango. Digital River (DRI) is RIM partner, who handles the credit card and PayPal purchases, while Bango handles purchases through carrier billing. Both DRI and Bango will send your money to your PayPal account. Bango however offers wire transfer as well, but the fee for the transfer is 1.8% of the transferred sum. You will receive your earnings always in USD, so it is advisable to have USD PayPal account or multicurrency PayPal account.

Note: if you submit only free apps to AppWorld you don’t need PayPal account and you don’t need to accept the T&C of DRI and Bango.

App price cut between you and RIM

You get 70% of the app purchase price (see also “Buying power factor” and “Currencies” section), while RIM and partners take the rest 30%.

How do you get paid?

Digital River (DRI) will pay you at the end of the month for the previous month. You will receive two invoices – one for sales in US, another for sales in ROW (Rest of the world). You will receive a payment if your earnings exceed $100.

Bango will send you the invoice right after the month’s end, however the actual payment will come 2 months later (this always causes confusion). You will receive a payment if your earnings exceed $50.

Example:

For January 2012 you have sold apps for $1000. Your cut is 70% so you will get $700. At the beginning of February you will receive an invoice from Bango for let’s say $200 (the number is just an example), but you won’t receive any payment from Bango. At the end of February you will receive two invoices from Digital River and two payments: one for US sales, another for ROW (Rest of the world), both payments will result in $500 in your pocket. Now back to those $200 from Bango – you will receive that sum at the beginning of… April.

Currencies

AppWorld supports different currencies for user purchases; the app price is converted at fixed rate (for example 1 EUR = 1.3541 USD) to the appropriate currency depending on the user. Therefore is somehow hard to estimate the exact month earnings (please refer to the Reporting article).

“Buying power factor”

As of December 2011 AppWorld offers lower prices for emerging markets (developing countries) like Indonesia, Peru, Venezuela etc. Users in those regions will pay only 75% of the original app price. So for sales in those regions you will actually get 53% of the original app price (75% buying factor and 70% cut).

Example:

If your original app price is $0.99, it will cost only $0.75 in Indonesia. As you receive only 70% of the purchase, at the end of the day you will get $0.53.

VAT and income taxes

VAT is a burning question for EU vendors. RIM partners collect the VAT so you don’t need to pay VAT in your country.

Income taxes are your own duty; you have to paid income taxes in your country. You may want to consult local tax advisor about this topic.

Refunds

Sometimes users are not happy with the app purchase and want a refund.

If the users have purchased an app via carrier billing, advise them to contact their carrier for refunds.

If the users have purchased an app with credit card or PayPal account, advise them to send the purchase order to appworldbilling@rim.com and to request a refund.

Resources

Vendor FAQ:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/appworld/faq

Statement about the refund policy:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/App-World-Insider-Event-with/How-to-handle-refunds/m-p/122740...

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Retired
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Vendor Help: Payments

Great post! Worthy of being stickied :smileyhappy:

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Trusted Contributor
jppedroso
My Device: Curve 8520

Excellent Post!

Regarding European VAT: As I'm a european developer, not a Company, why must I pay VAT?

................................................................................................
Tech On!
PTNews
more at On On On!
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer

Under  buy"buying Power Factor", it would appear that RIM thinks that some countries have excessive buying power - for example a tier 1 app/ $.99USD sells for one poind in Great Britain. If you are curious about what amounts are charged in various countries for your app, a table is displayed when you click on "View Price in Different Currencies" on the first page of Product Management in the Vendor portal.

Kloehn_Productions
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Great Post, Really cleared things up... Now could you help me with actually setting up an app for a fee. I already have apps out for free and would like to know how to change one of them to a paid app.

Thanks in advance.
New Contributor
redmotion
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

How does the new system of developer payment  (mentioned in an email from RIM to developers today) change this?

In respect to say, VAT and who pays what if you are a developer in the UK/EU?

Retired
gbeukeboom

Good question but I don't have the answer. An FAQ is being worked on to help answer these types of questions. For the time please send an email to customersupport@blackberrycommerce.rim.com, a representative should be able to help address your questions.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
New Contributor
Nipa
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Someone could please explain me the difference between Bango and DRI?

This is what I understood reading around the forum:

DRI: credit card and paypal

Bango: carrier billing

DRI's payment are if the vendor exceed 100$

Bango's payments are if vendor exceed 50$ 

(data taken from FAQ)

Reading around this forum I understood that DRI payments are sent at the beginning of each month even if the revenue is 3/4$...

Did I understand well or I didn't?

Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

And if PayPal is not supported in some country, like Macedonia, is it possible to get paid directly (bank wire transfer or whatever) ?
Retired
gbeukeboom

borceg wrote:
And if PayPal is not supported in some country, like Macedonia, is it possible to get paid directly (bank wire transfer or whatever) ?

PayPal, I believe, is the only supported method of payout at this time. It would be good to engage App World support directly though to get a firm answer to this though:

https://www.blackberry.com/profile/?eventId=8109

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!