Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
melikeellen
My Device: non-BlackBerry user
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

What are the top Blackberry devices to develop Apps for?

Hi,

The company I am working for has currently created an blackberry app for multiple versions, but I want to make sure we aren`t missing development on any smartphone blackberry`s that are still quite popluar..  Is there a list out there somewhere that shows the top blackberry phones that have been sold, or the percentage sold for each device? Please help, thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: What are the top Blackberry devices to develop Apps for?

I don't have a link, but you can probably find this. At DevCon there was a presentation on App World, with Alex Kinsella and two others, which had slides showing some interesting pie charts and such.

The gist of it was, that 5.x and 6.x are by far the bulk of the stuff out there, and if you look at who actually buys things on App World, those two plus the newer 7.x users are really the only ones who matter.

At this point, supporting any 4.x was deemed mostly pointless unless you clearly have a user base with phones that old, which only some organizations do.

The 5.x ones were, if I recall, still a good chunk of things, like 25%, so ignoring them cuts out a reasonably significant proportion of the potential user base, unless you're leveraging features that simply aren't on that version of the OS.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Official statistics here:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/choosingtargetos.jsp

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Make sure you still support the 8520/8530. This device is old and underpowered, but still quite popular. (assuming OS 5.0 is acceptable)

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
New Developer
melikeellen

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
melikeellen

Do any of you support version 4.5? It is only a small market of users with this OS at 7%.
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Yes, some of my apps support 4.5, but just because those apps were developed like 2 years ago :smileyhappy: For any new app the minimum OS is 5.0, for some even 6.0

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Even 2 years ago my apps required 4.6 and now I don't even consider anything prior to 5.0

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.