Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

My Device: PlayBook

What is an update's "release notes" text used for?

Wondering if anyone knows the answer to this...

Whenever I submit an update to my app, one of the fields in the Vendor Portal is "release notes."  Anyone know what these notes are used for?  I've always been dutifully filling in a little bullet list of new features, but the notes never seem to get published anywhere:

• When I go to the App World webpage for my app, I don't see these notes listed anywhere.
  • When I go to App World on my PlayBook, I don't see the notes anywhere.
  • When my PlayBook notifies me of a new update for my app, it doesn't show these notes -- just the name of the app.

I'm beginning to think they're only used as guidance for the RIM testers who approve the update...  Or do BlackBerry devices other than the PlayBook actually show the release notes somewhere?

I know that the Android Market has a section called "Recently changed in this version" for every app.  Has anyone tried imitating it in App World by updating the app description every time an update is approved?  I'm thinking of doing that, although it seems like a pain since the timing of the two will never line up.  I guess another option is to have the app itself pop up a "what's new" message the next time it's launched after updating... but it'd be nicer to say what's new *before* the update is downloaded to help entice people to download it.

Thanks for in advance for your tips!

- Peter

My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: What is an update's "release notes" text used for?

"Release notes" show up when you update smartphone apps (so the user can review what is changed in the latest version), probably it is a glitch in Playbook BB App World

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry