Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

What to do if your Package ID has been rejected by BlackBerry App World

If you are running into this error, refer to the blog post here below.

File bundle (YOUR_NAME) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle.

What to do if your Package ID has been rejected by BlackBerry App World

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: What to do if your Package ID has been rejected by BlackBerry App World

Mark, thanks for writing that up... definitely timely, as we've been dealing with dozens of questions about this lately. :smileyhappy:

Some users (in various venues apart from here) are still unclear how RIM will identify that the newly created product is intended to replace the one that was not signed but now renamed to something unused.

They're worried (unnecessarily, I know) that they may do something wrong and miss out on their free PlayBook, or have approval delayed significantly.

Can you clarify whether there's anything they should do (like ensure they create the replacement product with exactly the same name that the original had?) to minimize any delay or risk of problems?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

[ Edited ]

No problem!

The App World team will take care of matching applications.  They can report on which applications were denied and watch for resubmissions of the same application.  The details in the BAR file for the two applications will be nearly identical.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Thanks Mark. That almost makes me think, however, that if rather than merely signing correctly the previously submitted .bar file, someone signs a newer version and uploads that instead, the "details in the BAR file" won't be that identical.

I'm anticipating the questions these guys will ask.

Can you confirm then that (a) using a different name than the original will not cause problems (if they happen to do that), and (b) uploading a properly signed version of a *newer release* will also not cause problems?

Thanks.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Sorry, I'm not sure what your asking here.  Do you mean product name, company name, bar file name, etc...?

For B, do you mean as a new product for scenario 2 described in that article?  If that is the case, no, it shouldn't cause any issues.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

For (a) I did mean the product name. People are really bad following instructions. If they initially submitted "My Awezome App" and it was rejected, and they read your post, rather than just rename it to "BadSubmission" and then create a new product named "My Awezome App", someone will decide to create a new product called "Awezomeness" for the properly signed release.

For (b) I do mean a new product. They submitted version 1.0 unsigned, it was rejected, and now they're properly signing and trying to submit under the new product entry. In the meantime they've fixed some bugs and are at version 1.1. They'll wonder if they should just sign and resubmit the original 1.0.

I'm pretty sure the picture is becoming clear to me, that you believe the guys can handle just about anything without people losing out on the offer. Still, it's amazing the creative ways they have of finding ambiguities in the instructions and raising uncertainty.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

For A the product name doesn't really matter.  We'll match them up, not to worry.  :smileyhappy:  

I'd recommend the submit version 1.1.  May as well get the newest version reviewed instead of going through that process twice.  It'll speed things up for them that way.

Your right that people may do something creating we weren't expecting and get missed.  We're doing our best to catch all of these, but if people are concerned that they were missed they can contact BlackBerryPlayBookOffer@tmgideas.com.  Please wait the recommended 72 hours after being approved before contacting them.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Spifff
My Device: Not Specified

I have a slightly different scenario.

I created an app last april and submitted it.  The instructions were't as good back then and i failed to save the proper files for my signing keys.   Since then i have got a new computer.

I now have  a new computer and brand new signing keys.  How can i upload an upgrade to my original application so that the users get the 'upgrade available' notification.  My application id is the same as before but, as i said above, i am using brand new signing keys and the old keys are completely lost.

What options do i have?  I'd be happy with a solution even if it means the users end up with two copies of my app and have to manually delete the old one.  As long as they get the notice to upgrade.

any help appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

With the new keys, it is a different app. The user can download the "new" app, but they wont be notified. For example, you and I "could" have the same app id (e.g. "com.myfirstapp"). Without the different keys, we would conflict with one another since the app ids are not registered with RIM. The bad news is that you can create a new app, but your current users wont know about it. You could blog it, add it to CrackBerry forum, tell PlayBookDaily.com, but there is no conduit to current users.

Sorry.
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Spifff wrote:

I have a slightly different scenario.

I created an app last april and submitted it.  The instructions were't as good back then and i failed to save the proper files for my signing keys.   Since then i have got a new computer.

I now have  a new computer and brand new signing keys.  How can i upload an upgrade to my original application so that the users get the 'upgrade available' notification.  My application id is the same as before but, as i said above, i am using brand new signing keys and the old keys are completely lost.

What options do i have?  I'd be happy with a solution even if it means the users end up with two copies of my app and have to manually delete the old one.  As long as they get the notice to upgrade.

any help appreciated.

You can contact App World vendor support, who can clear out the ID for your old application.  This will allow you to upload an upgraded new version without creating a new product.  However, when the user installs they will have 2 copies of your application on their PlayBook (old and new version).

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.