Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
lamike
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: 3106343112

Why am I not eligible for rewards?

I was told by one person at Blackberry that some of the apps I submitted didn't qualify for rewards. I'm confused as to why, and I don't really think it's fair. This person told me that since I didn't upload my .bar file during the Port-A-Thon, it didn't qualify for rewards.

I created products and uploaded the .bar files prior to the Port-A-Thon, but that is completely kosher according to the terms and conditions and from multiple people at Blackberry I talked to.

Erik Oros confirmed this for me with this tweet:

Also, in the terms and conditions, the word "upload" isn't there. However the word "submit/submitting/submitted" appears 16 times in the rules. So based off of those two facts, I believe I am eligible for rewards. I "submitted" my apps in the proper time period. 

Is there anything I'm missing here? I am not trying to be difficult, I just would like to get some cash for my apps and I thought I did everything within the rules of the Port-A-Thon. 
Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

Re: Why am I not eligible for rewards?

I recall that being discussed in this forum here, and the rules were that the app needed to be submitted entirely during the portathon time period -- that means no drafts or uploads beforehand.

For previous portathons that made sense, as some submissions were time-based (earliest ones submitted got more rewards). For Last Chance, I'm not so sure it made as much sense, seeing as the extra rewards were all based on a raffle (I think).

If you got conflicting info from RIM, hopefully they'll straighten things out. I just know that for the last couple of portathons, we weren't supposed to make drafts/upload anything, early.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lamike

Thanks for your reply, I was just going by what the people at Blackberry were communicating and tried to follow their Terms and Conditions as closely as possible
Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

They may make an exception for you if you were directly told it was okay to upload early. I did find it a bit odd that it wasn't made more clear in the portathon instructions myself -- if I hadn't read here in the forums we weren't supposed to make drafts early, I probably wouldn't have known either.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
neilwick
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Telus

I think that you made a mistake uploading bar files. Erik told you, "Be sure not to submit any BARs as releases." Creating the product is one thing and possibly could have been allowed (sounds like it was), but uploading a bar file is called "adding a release" in BlackBerry World jargon, so I think that's where you ran into the problem.

"Releasing for sale" is a separate process from uploading/submitting the initial "release" on your product (for example, a bar file). By strict interpretation of the rules, it sounds like you're not eligible.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lamike

Thanks for your reply, but I still think it's unfair. Hopefully I can work it out with blackberry. I didn't submit anything until the Port A Thon until it started so I think I'm still eligible
Please use plain text.
Developer
madmaskd
My Device: Blackberry Z10 LE, Q10 And PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Its better to be On time and right TRAIN than Before/After Time Wrong Train .................. the Issue is Impatent ...... timing  must be followed we cant put 100 apps in 10 minutes ........... just follow the Process which is for developers s good :smileyhappy: Enjoy coding 

Hit Like if you find my post Use Full Thank You...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lamike

I followed the process to the T, even reviewing the Terms and conditions. Nowhere in those terms and conditions were the word "upload".

I still think I did nothing wrong, would love to hear from anyone at RIM that can speak on this issue, I would really appreciate it.
Please use plain text.
Developer
madmaskd
My Device: Blackberry Z10 LE, Q10 And PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone

oOk Do one thing complaint / Request here about the Details of rewards and Elgiblity Here i think it will Clear you

https://www.blackberry.com/profile/?eventId=8109

Hit Like if you find my post Use Full Thank You...
Please use plain text.