Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

appworldreport.com

[ Edited ]

just received another spam email from them.  this time they have a new book on appworld sales

http://www.appworldreport.com/report.html

"We respect your privacy! Your personal data will not be shared with any third party!"  yeah right.

apparently that is how they make their money sale your data.  the book is only accurate if EVERY developer uses their reporting system. 

just curious how many developers use them.

I dont use their report system.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: appworldreport.com

How do they get their data now? Does the developer have to give them permission to access application download statistics?

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

you dont even have to setup an account with them.

you just upload your sales csv file and then you get the report.  all your sales are probably saved on their server.  that is how they come up with the book.  they sale your data

Please use plain text.
Developer
LSphone
My Device: Torch 9800, Storm 9530, Curve 8330

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've received their SPAM mail.  Somehow they are mining developer names, product names, and contact information from the App World system, to send SPAM out.

The required-by-law "unsubscribe" feature does not work.  It says, "ERROR: It is not possible to unsubscribe this email at the moment."  But it always says that.

They're trading on RIM's App World trademark, and illegally spamming, to get our sales data.

They should be shut down IMO.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

I agree with you.  before if would never let me unsubscribe but the last spam i was able to unsubscribe.

Now they are selling "your" data for $99. 

dont upload your sales data unless you want to give them away.

Please use plain text.
Developer
drdevil44
My Device: storm 2

Yes I've not been able to unsubscribe either which is quite irritating as I have no wish to deal with them.

They're not trading on RIM's trademark unless they're conducting the same business and giving the impression they are RIM.  Clearly they are not.

I can't see they're doing anything illegal other than this unsubscribe link not working (illegal in EU).

I am somewhat impressed that they came up with this business idea - it'd be interesting to see how many books they sell.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

they only get the data that developers use their system.  assuming they get 50% of the developers that is 50% inaccurate.  that isnt very accurate data.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

Hmm, i got that email last night and definitely thought it was a from RIM. Definitely annoying

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
New Developer
ljdarten
My Device: curve

I just got my first email from them. Thought they were from rim too.

I think there is some argument for fraud by making people think they are from rim. however they do have "AppWorldReport.com is not related with Research In Motion Limited in any way." in tiny letters on their maini page, so it would be a long fight and probably not worth it.

I think it would be nice if RIM were to at least (i they haven't already) ask them to make it clearer they are an unrelated company and hinted at the possibility of legal action.

Please use plain text.