Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
druid
My Device: bold
My Carrier: rogers

can this be done?

The concept:

To create a proprietary university app, that can be downloaded to cell phones.

Specifically, I work at a University. I would like to be able to download our departmental phone book as an app, directly from our departmental website, as a link.

If this is possible, I would then like to download from the same site, a safety card link, as an app, with local police, security, counselling, and other related information on it.

In our university we have 70,000 people and we budget to print 100,000 credit card sized plastic safety cards annually, as information changes annually too.  Its expensive.

Our university publishes paper phone books to the amount of 50,000 annually and I believe that if each department had the phone book app available on their website, it could be easily downloaded to cell phones.

The savings in plastic and paper printing and materials would be substantial.

The concept would advance the use of cell phones for faster communication and would be a simple link download and appear on your phone as an app.

The concept would of course be useful  to organizations of any size. A further development would be the inclusion in the downloaded phone book of the ability to highlight primary contacts, and enter additional information about them, and click to call.

Please use plain text.
Developer
lcamobile
My Device: 9800, 9630
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: can this be done?

This is certainly possible. In a very basic form you could create an App which simply launches a web browser to a site with the appropriate information.

If you need it to be more interactive and/or standalone with no web interface, this could also be done very easily.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Very very possible, basically an app that sounds like it would call on a database for the retrieved info.

You'll need someone to develope the app, and in the day and time we live, I think it would be a very useful app at a university.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
druid

thank you. So dare I ask how  I would proceed with this, and maybe you could tell me if this is a professional  programmers job?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
arirushan
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: 3

I don't think it would take a programmer to do this,  this url could be your starting point :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCard

if you need more capabilities then you should start contact a software developer, me for example :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
druid

well thank you very much.  I will be happy to get back to you on this next week,

cheers

Please use plain text.