Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: from free to paid

The ability for vendors to change their apps from free to paid was done because it was frustrating customers. Users that had apps downloaded for free then had to pay if they ever needed to re-download the same app they previously owned.

If you have existing users I would recommend instead going with a freemium model to keep them happy:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/01/convert-apps-to-freemium/

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C
My Carrier: Rogers

What should be done is simple

1. The option for licence should go away 

2. when i create an app product i should be able to togle on or off free or paid upgrade otpion

3. when I build my bar file the question should be price to charge this new bar at and have the option of free there as   well.

I think this would be a easier way.

I do understand though that the problem comes in BlackBerry World your app jumps from free section to paid section each time. can this be looked at thouhg . 

BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

I agree, the ability to let devs/vendors set the price (even free) is a great option, just not one that exists today. It's not a matter of the portal allowing this, it used to, the problem is that it currently provides a poor user experience.

There are a few options being investigated:

1) Allowing $0 as an option

2) Having free apps show up as a valid transaction (free apps do not create transaction records today which is why users lose access if the apps switch to paid)

No timelines for when a solution will be in place but for now I would recommend choosing a route which will keep your existing userbase happy :smileyhappy:

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.