Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
vbovio
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

funny characters for spanish descriptions

Hello,

I recently added keywords to my apps on the vendor portal, when I saved the changes, the spanish descriptions of my apps got funny characters for the acent and ñ characters, does anyone else have seen this, hope someone for RIM can look at this.

Thanks.

BovioSoft Games
Please use plain text.
Developer
moniko17
My Device: Javelin 8900
My Carrier: Axis

Re: funny characters for spanish descriptions

this is a good funny characters I think
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Hi vbovio,

I just pushed through an open Change Request for a Spanish Description update.  Can y ou verify if these bad characters still appear in the updated Description?

If so, can you let me know which app(s)is affected?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
vbovio

Hi Ryan, thanks for your support,

The description is fine now, but I just tried to update another app "Marble Craft", and the weird characters still keep replacing the vocals with acents.

I also have another app called "Mineweeper and Break the Code" with the problem as well.

I would like to update other apps too, but I wonder if I should wait until this problem is fixed or change them anyway..

Thanks.

BovioSoft Games
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

There is an issue with Unicode chars but I haven't pinned down what it is yet. My own descriptions appeared screwed up (both the copyright symbol after PlayBook, and some bullets I used for a list) so I edited the description to "fix" it. Something like this happened last summer during some App World changes so I just assumed it was going on again.

Now when I check (the changes are still pending review) the Description field shows the same screwed up text, basically a clear sign of something in the pipeline converting Unicode to UTF-8 but some later part not properly decoding it.

I figured I'd wait until the change request was approved, then check my listings in the App World client on the PlayBook, before reaching any conclusions. For all I know, at the moment it's a problem only with viewing the data in the textarea in my browser (FireFox 14) and not something that shows up in the PlayBook (in which case I'll ignore it).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
vbovio

I just checked on App World both in the PlayBook and on the web, and it does show the wrong characters. I guess it's something wrong with the portal because it gets propagated.. Anyway, I'm confident that RIM folks will take care of this :smileyhappy:

BovioSoft Games
Please use plain text.
rhearty

Hi guys,

The bad characters issue is fixed as I mention earlier, however if your current description contanis these bad characters you'll unfortuantely need to submit a new Description for approval.

If you have already submitted a new Description change in the last day or two - the bad characters will not appear once the Change Request is approved. 

Just to recap: When you change your Description and click 'Save', it generates a Ticket for approval by the Storefront Team.  This new Description will not appear in the Vendor Portal until it is approved.  This is why it appears like you fix the Description and it doesn't instantly appear fixed.  Check the 'Tickets' tab to verify that an open Ticket exists - once this Ticket is approved the new Description will then appear in the Vendor Portal.

If after doing the above you still have bad characters, please let me know. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

I'm not convinced this is fixed, as I did submit a new description just a few days ago with my bullet characters fixed, and the change request has been approved yet when I view the Description in the web interface again (vendor portal, editing the description) it contains the improperly decoded UTF-8 bytes instead.

Specifically I entered lists with "•" (should appear as a small bullet, Unicode 2022 http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2022/index.htm) but they are showing as "•" (which I see as 3 characters: lowercase-a-with-circumflex, Euro sign, cent sign). This incorrect representation likely corresponds to the UTF-8 encoding of that character, the bytes 0xE2 0x80 0xA2.

I just submitted another change request, but it appears I'm simply making the same change again as the description still appears wrong.

Something wrong with the encoding in my browser? I have it set to "Unicode (UTF-8)".

My product id is 51274 if that will help.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
rhearty

[ Edited ]

Hey peter9477,

Looks like the first Description change put through was on the 21st.  The issues was resolved on the backend overnight on the 21/22.

I just put through the newest ticket you had for today - and the bullets look as you'd expect them too (no bad characters).

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Okay, confirmed that now the description field (in vendor portal) has the correct bullets in it. Thanks Ryan!

Please use plain text.