Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook 2.0
My Carrier: AT&T

"Free" Playbook Offer - Duty bill

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I took part in the free Playbook offer ( http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/02/playbook-offer-extension/ ) and received the tablet some time ago. 

For some reason I got the Playbook sent from the US (I'm in Germany) and now weeks later I received a duty bill of 75 € (92 $) from Fedex! 

Did that happen to anybody else?  

Blackberry are not answering my emails on why they sent me the device from the US and if they pay the bill. 

Thanks for your feedback.

Edit:

The shipping was free but because it was shipped from outer Europe (Which they didn't told me) I now need to pay 75 € (92 $) for it to the German Zoll. (Importing duty) 
Even worse they sent me a tablet that is not made for the German market and misses the right charger plugs...

Also I'm still waiting for a response from the Blackberry team! 

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9790, BlackBerry PlayBook 64Gb, BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: MTS

Re: "Free" Playbook Offer - Duty bill

Hi Vibes,

I've received PlayBook from US too. I live in Russia. And I haven't paid for shipping.

As far as I know RIM paid the shipping.
Respectfully,
Oleg

Developer, QNX RTOS, BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook
Follow me on Twitter (in Russian)
St.Petersburg BlackBerry Dev. Group
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Probably the bill you received is for the customs duty and not shipping charges.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

1. They were ALL shipped from the US, so yours isn't any different than anyone else's in that respect.

2. In the past, I had understood that the fulfillment company that RIM used for this offer was supposed to have arranged things so that nobody had to pay anything. In most cases, I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

3. Your best bet is to contact the organization that shipped it, rather than RIM, since RIM wasn't directly involved in that process. Probably only if you exhaust your options there would it make sense to try contacting RIM directly. If you need to take that step, I'd suggest tweeting @BlackBerryDev to see if they can get it handled.

4. The original offer made it quite clear you would be getting a North American charger, so you shouldn't be surprised by that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Z10

In EU there is no duty fee for tablets. But you have to pay VAT + FedEx additional local expences.

Send a really nice email with scanned invoice to BlackBerry​PlayBookOf​fer@tmgide​as.com and ask them if they will refund (they will).

AFAIK in the 2012 offer box there is a plug-in part for your charger to work with other networks too (EU and UK).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Retired
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi vibes,

Shoot me your details via DM, I work on the team that lead the free playbook offer. I can track down the issue and help you get it resolved.

thx
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10LE
My Carrier: T-Mobile

HI,

I live in Poland and also received a free PlayBook tablet. I havent had to pay anything.

In the documents that came with the tablet (and that were sent to my e-mail by FedEx), there was cleary stated that the delivery and duty costs should by paid by "3rd party" and not by the recipient (field number 7 and 8 in the "FOR CUSTOMS USE ONLY ... FedEx" document).

Also have a look at the "commercial invoice" document . There should be a "Total commodity value" information and below it  - "Terms of sale". On my documents it sais "ddp" which i believe means "delivery and duty paid".

Either your customs office made a mistake or someone has made a mistake when the tablet was sent.

Maciej

Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Hi Vibes,

I'm also in Germany and also took part in this free PlayBook offer and I also received the tablet times later but mine has the right charger that works here for me. My package contains both, a "BlackBerry EU Clip" and a "BlackBerry NA Clip" where the first is working for Germany and alst one isn't.

I also haven't got a bill to pay for the import yet.

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Developer

[ Edited ]

@samyotte  Thanks, I just sent you a DM. 

Developer

Hi Maciej,

thanks for your reply.

I didn't receive an email from FedEx neither the documents you mentioned.

I think you're right and the problem is that they sent me a packet that was meant for the US and not Europe.