01-25-2012 01:30 PM - edited 01-25-2012 01:31 PM
Ah that did it thanks! I used the firefox webdeveloper plug-in to 'clear session cookies' while I was logged in to the vendor portal. Then when I re-logged on, the reports work OK again!
01-26-2012 03:27 AM
01-27-2012 06:12 AM
After few lucky days no graphs/reports again.
01-27-2012 07:02 PM
I still think it's only going to work during normal business hours when a guy can notice something stuck on the server and they reboot something. Seems to always be down eve through early morning. hmm...
01-28-2012 12:45 AM
wow, this was a surprise. I've been using Chrome exclusively. Reports were not working again so I tried IE9 and they worked. Tried again in Chrome and the same "repor" error. Came back another 20 minutes same thing, didn't work in Chrome but worked in IE9.
So...perhaps it does have something to do with cookies, session variables, etc, etc, who knows. But I just wanted to post my experience which leaves me more confused than ever. lol...
01-29-2012 10:40 AM