If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
cyberia61
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

vendor account fee waiver

[ Edited ]

Looks like the fee has been lifted for sometime now for the membership account.

I wonder though if one still has to have funds in the provided PayPal account or a linked debit/credit card, meaning that RIM will charge the PP account/card  and then reimburse the fee or what's the deal?

The registration guidlines on the Vendor Portal say nothing about it.

Anyone has done it lately?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
cyberia61

Re: vendor account fee waiver

[ Edited ]

an update

I tried to register an account thru the Vendor Portal

after you fill out the vendor details  the next step is to Check out with the PayPal.

Press the button, it takes u to the PayPal page, then you gotta login into the account,

then your PP account page opens and for some reason it also has RIM logos on it . ??

on that page  you are asked to link yor credit card to the PP account in case the amount exceeds your balance limit or something like that .

Then you have an option to give the CC details and proceed or cancel.

Now, my question is

If the fee is zero at the moment what amount are they talking about and why the credit card is needed if no purchase is gonna be made?

The PayPal account is not verified yet cuz I just opened it for the purpose, that means that it is not linked to a bank account, but even though you are allowed to  receive unlimited payments to an unverified PP account ;

the limitation is only on sending money from that acount, say 500 USD a month, untill it's verified and it usually takes some time, a week or so, I have checked it with the PayPal customer support.

I wish someone from RIM can clarify the issue.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Hi cyberia61,

The reason you need either a PayPal balance or a linked Credit Card is because to validate a PayPal account for InstantPayment types, PayPal runs a mock $0.01 charge agaisnt your account.  When that transaction can be completed successfully, the account is linked and you are routed back to the Vendor Portal registration process.

This is where the requirement is coming from.  Previous to the fee being removed, we required one of those two conditions to be met, but at the time it was a real $200 transaction. 

Hope this helps,

Please use plain text.
Developer
cyberia61

Thanks

So,  if I credit my PayPal account some money it will let me  to proceed?

Great

Please use plain text.
Developer
cyberia61

and  to follow up

Does RIM have access to my PayPal account details thru obtaining my PayPal account password

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Correct,

Putting in some form of balance to cover the mock transaction should work.

With regards to your PayPal credentials, the entire log-in process is on the PayPal website, not the RIM site so we never acquire your Password.  We record the PayPal user name and a unqiue validation key provided to us by PayPal so we know the transaction (to validate your accout) was valid.

At no time to we have anything more than your PayPal email address.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PatSegoe

Hi guys,

So, you guys are absolutely positive that my credit card will not be charged, right? I just need some assurance; if something goes wrong with the system and I am charged $200, I don't know who will be liable with online PayPal transactions.

Thanks so much!

Pat Segoe

Please use plain text.