Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
Belis43
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 8330m and AppWorld

can I exchange my 8330m at sprint for a 8330...because its not really the phone that doesnt work its just...RIM's problem with AppWorld
Please use plain text.
Contributor
airshark

I'm pretty sure they're refreshed the whole lineup to use the 8330m....but it couldn't hurt to ask I guess...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scanlancs09

Friend has the sam issue.  He called RIM and here is what he said he got as a response..."they said it was a glitch when they produced the newest batch of the phone....hence why they added an 'm' to the end of the number now to show a difference. He was told that they will not be fixing it....rather, they are just focusing on a newer version. They suggested that maybe he could take it back to where he got it and see if they will exchange for a 8330 if there are any left."

Sounds like us 8330m users are screwed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
airshark

[ Edited ]

scanlancs09 wrote:

Friend has the sam issue.  He called RIM and here is what he said he got as a response..."they said it was a glitch when they produced the newest batch of the phone....hence why they added an 'm' to the end of the number now to show a difference. He was told that they will not be fixing it....rather, they are just focusing on a newer version. They suggested that maybe he could take it back to where he got it and see if they will exchange for a 8330 if there are any left."

Sounds like us 8330m users are screwed.

First of all, whoever your friend talked to at RIM doesn't have a clue what's going on.

There is no "glitch."  There is nothing "wrong" with the phones.  There is nothing to "fix."

The phones are designated "m" because they now use an MEID instead of a traditional ESN number.  The use of an MEID enables them to perform true MMS messaging and brings them into compliance with much of the industry.  Also, in the store, an "m" also indicates that the newest 4.5 software is loaded onto the device.

Please don't spread information suggesting that "m" indicates a glitchy, buggy device that was a mistake,no one cares about, and is being passed over.  That is simply VERY false.

My current theory is that when entering the App Store, RIM forgot to program the store to recognize the "m" version as a model 8330 Curve. I fully have faith that they will correct this omission.

And here's my smiley face ;-)  to show that I'm trying to keep it friendly if my words come across as harsh in any way.

Message Edited by airshark on 05-13-2009 04:39 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
crystalg6982

I too have an 8330m through Sprint, and cannot receive all applications in the App World.  Has there been any new news on this?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scanlancs09

Airshark,

I was not trying to spread false information....merely relaying a message that I received.  The person I talked to may have been mistaken, or he may have been given a "cop-out" answer from support.  He's a pretty reliable guy, so I took his word for what the conversation entailed.  Who knows. 

I certainly hope it gets fixed but until it is, I do consider this a mistake that no one cares about, and is being passed over.  Because, well, if it doesn't get fixed, that's what it is.  And I do believe there is something to fix and there is a "glitch".  Not necessarily on the phone side (as you stated, the phone is fine, and I am in agreement....I love the phone other than this problem), but on the App side.   Having App World with all these apps, but not all available on certain models of the same phone, doesn't sound normal to me.

I would hope that, being the top selling phone in the country (granted, they aren't all 8330m) that this issue would be re-visited.  And as far as using MEID number instead of ESN number and that is the purpose of the 'm', I'll take your word for it.  I'm not that technologcally up on the times anymore.  Makes more sense than a letter merely put in place to signal a non-compatible phone.

Did not take your comments harshly.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
airshark

Cool I hope we can make this thread large enough that RIM will pay attention.  I try and look over the board once or twice a day and refer people to this thread with the same issue.  BTW, when I emailed the Shazam people, they said its an issue with the RIM App World store, not their product.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
terry1

Ok to start off with I did contact Shazam about the app issue. Their reply was there is a glitch in the app world program and that they and other app suppliers are working with blackberry to resolve the issue. But for now I suggest you go the app supplier web site and see if there any for down load and use. Otherwise like my self who wanted the Shazam app ended up going to crackberry and did a search for the link for another source for it. You will have to use the desk top manager to load it into your blackberry.
Please use plain text.
Developer
eaoliver
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Application developers typically create separate releases for each device since different devices have different capabilties and screen sizes.

Unfortunately, when submitting apps to the App World developers must explicitely add devices to releases. For example, I have an 8300_8800 release of my app, that comes with images formated to the 320x240 pixel screens.  I have then added all the 8800 and 8300 series devices to the list of 'supported devices' for my app. 

The BlackBerry 8330m was just added to the list, so every developer with with special releases for each device must go back and add 8330m to the list of 'supported devices'.

I can imagine your frustration.  I have already complained to RIM about this.  Developers should be able to target a specific screen size instead of indivual devices.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.
Developer
eaoliver
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

I added 8330m support for the "Brio Calorie Tracker".

If you are able to download it on your 8330m, I would appreciate knowing that it works (since people have been having problems with that device.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.