Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
k4dz
My Device: Bold 9000

App Store "World" not-so-"World"wide

Hey all, Gotta say I've been waiting for the launch of this highly-anticipated app-software for many, if not ALL, blackberry users out there. So, like anyone else, when iit was released, I went straight to the download section to get my hands on this baby.. until I found out, to my greatest dissapointment ever, that it's only supported in only several main countries in this huge world we live in.. Not only does it say that, it doesn't even mention the world "currently available", hence opening the possibilities for those who live in the "other" parts of the world to get their hands on this software.. C'mon RIM, here's the love here? I'm "currently" residing in Jakarta, Indonesia and a very-proud owner of BlackBerry Bold 9000 with an official provider by one of my country's famous network provider, Exelcommindo (XL). Not to mention that I also pay good money for the BlackBerry Service each month and WILL pay good money for purchasing the wide variety of apps to be found in the App Store.. Well, there you go.. I'm still having high hopes of the app REALLY goin WORLD Wide, cause if not, RIM will be having lots of dissapointed customers out there, including losing a lot of potential income that can be acquired from such customers. Am I preaching to the choir here, or am I the only one that is unsatisfied with this matter? Any insight would be greatly appreaciated, Thanks all. -k4dz BlackBerry Bold 9000 Country: Indonesia BB Pin: 255F1078
Contributor
Molsem
My Device: Storm 9530

Re: App Store "World" not-so-"World"wide

Well I'm sure you'd really like the App World, as did I before it came out.  However, as I'm sure you may be able to see in these forums, it isn't all it's cracked up to be.  There are still a lot of bugs, and the app needs a lot of work.  People aren't always getting what they paid for (Though the money sure does fly out of your account pretty quickly).

So here's to continued development AND expansion of the BB App World!

- F. Scott Fitzgerald "The Crack-Up" (1936)
New Contributor
k4dz

Hey Molsem,

Yeah, I saw all the critics already, every newly released app/software will have its preliminary bugs. Only time will settle em all :smileyhappy:
I'm sure it'll be as stable as the iPhone AppStore (which I was a fan as well)

Are you still using the AppWorld now? Even with these flaws?

(Man, coming here to this thread made me realize how many grammatical errors and sentence fragments I made in my previous post.. glad you could still understand my "rant" hehe)

Thanks for the info mate,
Cheers,
Contributor
Molsem

Haha too late, it's off to the clink for you. :-P

Yes, I do use the AppStore.  There are definitely some bugs but all in all they don't bother me TOO much, the only problem I've had is lack of support.  Aside from this place, there isn't really anything.  No number to call, or email address to email, so it's just post here and pray somebody "gets around" to helping you.  Not that the people here aren't helpful, but they are only human and forget things and have tons of other stuff to do as well, so problems don't get resolved terribly quickly.

Also, I've made other purchases since the one that I made that I didn't receive the app for, and they've all worked fine.  Hopefully they'll hammer out the bugs and kinks and the APPS WILL FLOW (sorry, somewhat obscure movie reference).

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Molsem wrote:

the only problem I've had is lack of support.  Aside from this place, there isn't really anything.  No number to call, or email address to email, so it's just post here and pray somebody "gets around" to helping you.

Your first level of support should be here :
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/blackberryappworld.jsp

there is a link at the end of the page "If you require further assistance, please contact us using the online form and select BlackBerry App World from the drop-down menu."

but I believe it can take some time for the support to reply. If your issue is a frequent one, then indeed the answer is probably already on the forum in previous discussions.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
Molsem

Yea, actually I did see that, and attempted to use it.  I selected AppWorld Billing issues as my type of problem, and it brought me to a screen where it asked for a description of the problem, and then the 10 digit BB confirmation code from my purchase (which is a required item of information to continue from that point).  

My problem is that I never got one of those... PayPal gave me a transaction number, but I never got one from BB, as well as not getting the App that I successfully paid for (Purchase not Found error or something?).  So, since I was lacking that piece of information, I could not file a ticket.  If there was a customer service number, or even an email address, that would have been my next step, to inform them that I COULDN'T use their automated ticket support system, but alas, we've now arrived at my original point.

I understand that it takes time to implement a coherent, all inclusive support system.  I just fail to see why that didn't receive more attention BEFORE launching the AppWorld endeavor.  Instead, people like you have to answer every little tiny question from people who should've read their manual, or done a google search.  I don't envy you, it must be a rather busy job, on top of your other duties of course. :-P

Guru I
Xandrex

that's not my job. :smileyhappy:
I'm a regular consumer that cannot use App World because he does not live in USA/Canada/UK. I answer to people here as leisure.

you can try and contact this user :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/70157

He works for RIM and does additionnal support for people like you who couldn't get a proper support (I wouldn't want to be him even for a high salary).
For him to answer your request, you need to give every information you can : OS version, device, App World version, PIN, date of transaction, all PayPal references and so on. I have seen him able to solve consumer issues on the present forum in the past month, provided people gave him all information (no passwords of course).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
teague
My Device: Not Specified

it is a bit frustrating. i'm British and the UK is one of the countries supported by app world. however, I'm currently living in Japan and I use my BB on one of the biggest networks NTT Docomo. as I mentioned I'm English and my BB is all in English but it won't let me download app world. I'm happy with my BB but it is frustrating when you see how easily iPhone users can get all sorts of free apps very quickly. it can't really be that hard can it?
New Contributor
k4dz

I couldn't agree with you more Teague,

Let's just hope that with all the bugs that are still apparent in AppWorld at the moment this constriction (AppWorld being only available at US/UK/Canada) is only a form of a debugging stage for RIM to work them out..
After its considered OK, then they'll open it for consumers world-wide, including those like you, when taking your BB wherever you go, the app is still there for you to utilize.

I'm getting tired of browsing for my BB Apps.. Hehe.
Guru I
Xandrex

in my opinion it is not a technical problem at all, but a legal problem.
App World requires RIM to sign additional contracts with every single carrier. It is natural to start with some carriers, with a localization filter (hence US/Canada/UK and not "all Vodafone subsidiaries" for example).