Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Reply
Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,404
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: App World : availability by country


yessuz wrote:

You are wrong. market, as such thing, is open. Noone gulates it. You can sell things at what ever price and conditions you want. Also, you cannot limit your product sale, let's say in UK only, and let's say, not let to sell it in other EU countries.


I am not specifically discussion EU issues, we could argue about it for hours.

 

But indeed a government can prevent specific applications from being available in AppWorld.

For example this application, because that French radio station says things that do not please those governments.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/7291?lang=en

 

I do not know the legal details, but I remember that on the Apple AppStore, there are far worse constraints. Let's remember the application designed by Mark Fiore, a satirist, that was banned from the AppStore because he "made fun of a public figure", and was accepted later, the day following his winning the Puilitzer price (same app). http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/04/apple-bans-satire/




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,404
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: App World : availability by country


Deevych wrote:

Xandrex wrote:

Deevych wrote:

One reason - rather have less clients than change something. 

RIM feels good enough in USA and Canada (as primary and major markets), and the way they rule the AppWorld (if what you said is true) is no one's else problem, just RIM's.

As result - "selected" countries have AppWorld enabled, others - sucks (sorry, but can't pick other word to better describe this). 



I guess you are an American citizen, so you do not know that the US is one of the country in the world where the BlackBerry has the smallest market share in the world...

RIM is mainly focusing on other markets (Asia & Europe & South America) and at the same time trying to cope with the US market.


Absolutely not. I'm from Ukraine.
And here is why I told the North America is the majopr market for RIM:

http://paidcontent.org/images/editorial/_original/global-os-marketshare-feb.2011-o.png

 



Thank for for that statistic.

Unfortunately:

  • you can see that the UK marketshare is higher than the US one for RIM products
  • this stat is about internet usage and not number of devices. And since Internet on BlackBerry goes through RIM's servers, the numbers are designed to be low
  • this stat is about American websites (mostly...) so it targets people who read English
  • this stat is biaised because it shows ridiculous numbers in Canada (RIM = 7%...)
  • this stat is biaised because it does not show the country with the highest marketshare for RIM, Indonesia (Indonesian users account for 6% of all BlackBerry devices in the entire world)

 

 


Deevych wrote:

Xandrex wrote:

If you are not happy with that, please use another appshop for BlackBerry devices, like Handango or Handmark or MobiHand. They are available in all countries.


Yes, this may work for BB smartphones.

But what about PlayBook? Do we have ANY alternative for AppWorld? Of course not... 

That's the primary reason I'm not happy with AppWorld availability restrictions. 


Yes I agree with you. I am also very concerned about that fact. And I don't see a way out of it.




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
yessuz
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-30-2011
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: App World : availability by country

The single program does not mean that you cannot use the service completely.

 

It's the same as if there is one app for france only, all other countries would not be available to use the APP service at all.

There is plenty of apps available for USA only, but it does not make the BB app not availble for whole EU...

 

it's complete nonsense 

Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,404
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: App World : availability by country

@yessuz,

thank you for your answer. Let me detail more. My example shows for that several countries, including Jordan and Kuwait, their local government has reviewed every single app on AppWorld, and decided that this specific French app is not suitable for their citizens. Therefore they have enforced a ban and the application cannot be downloaded for Jordanian or Kuwaiti people.

So you clearly understand that a country will need to review every single app on AppWorld, before allowing it to be used by its citizens.

Look at the map in my original message, you will see that most countries that can use BlackBerry services, but not AppWorld, are countries where there are liberty issues (especially Internet blocking by the government).
For the other ones, the issue may simply be not having enough resources to review those applications (= they review less applications everyday than the number of new applications on AppWorld everyday).

RIM wants money. They have no reason for not trying to get as much people on the AppWorld as possible.



The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
Calexicomne
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-04-2011
My Device: Torch 9800‚

Re: App World : availability by country

Hi,

does anybody know when the BlackBerry App will be available in Montenegro. I have a BlackBerry torch 9800 but it can not be used except for calls and messages and the internet

 

Thank you for your help

Contributor
yessuz
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-30-2011
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: App World : availability by country

So, you want to say, that we, as EU membner have less liberty than France, or, looking at the map, we "preview" less apps than, LATVIA, which is like 30% less people.?

 

How can you know, how many apps we will review, if you cannot do that?

common. that's stupid argument. 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
Posts: 48,763
Registered: ‎11-28-2008
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: App World : availability by country


Calexicomne wrote:

Hi,

does anybody know when the BlackBerry App will be available in Montenegro. I have a BlackBerry torch 9800 but it can not be used except for calls and messages and the internet

 

Thank you for your help


 

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Due to the rules of these forums, no one who knows the answer to your question is allowed to reveal it. Further, negotiations for AppWorld availability are themselves normally bound by confidentiality requirements until they are complete. They have to ensure that they and their partners meet local laws and legislation for operating an e-commerce system -- and that can take time. AppWorld is in over 110 countries now and adding more and more every month. So, there is no way to receive the answer to your question until it becomes available to you, if it indeed ever does.

 

Further still, do be aware that AppWorld is merely a portal, vending apps developed mainly by others. As such, it is not your exclusive procurement source -- there are others that you can try:

 

    • AppWorld in selected countries

 

    • MobiHand everywhere in the world

 

    • Handango everywhere in the world

 

    • BPlay everywhere in the world

 

    • GetJAR everywhere in the world

 


I have found that there are very few apps that are exclusive to AppWorld. You can search the on-line catalog and then search out other procurement sources, including quite often the developer website itself.

Good luck!

 


Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
Deevych
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎02-05-2011
My Device: Not Specified

Re: App World : availability by country

you are very, very wrong... all the worldwide app markets are missing almost all the free apps, and only a few apps can be found on developers' sites (google, for example), most of them already put the "get in appworld" banners (accuweather, ebay,...).
Developer
ben1107
Posts: 409
Registered: ‎06-13-2011
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Re: App World : availability by country

From a message I once read AppWorld is not available in most countries because of the country's policy. Remember it was an issue in India? And some other countries. If they get a solution I think we will be notified
Twitter: @IAmBenGiey | Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

Try my apps:
The Ultimate Currency Converter and T2G - BloGFeed
New Contributor
karpov
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎03-02-2011
My Device: Not Specified

Re: App World : availability by country

Well, the proper question should be 'why RIM is so stupid?' They are loosing their marketshare, year after year, and they still don't give a **bleep** to the people who would like to become their customers.

 

I was waiting for changes in their policy concerning AppWorld for seven month. Now I am looking forward for iPhone 5 (or 4gs, whatever). Let these loosers sing their silly songs and fire their employees.