Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Reply
Contributor
yessuz
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-30-2011
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: App World : availability by country

My country is Lithuania.

Jus accross the border, we have neighbour Latvia, who do not have any problem with app world. In pPoland - No problems.

I can go with my roaming - and it works.

 

And you would be surprised, how free we are. Have you been there?

We have probably much more freedom than USA or others.

 

So common, it's a nonsense! Whole europe union has it, aand we + Estonia - don't. It's stupid policy.

I'm really dissapointed. 

Developer
Deevych
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎02-05-2011
My Device: Not Specified

Re: App World : availability by country

In my oppinion, AppWolrd should have NO restrictions at all. Why RIM feels responsible (???) for persons breaking the law in their countries?

This is an end-user's responsibility, not RIM's. Also, the AppWorld itself has restrictions by countries on each app (vendor can select the countries available).

 

So, all of this is complete nonsense...

I'm from east Europe, we have the BBServices here, we can buy BB devices, but can't get any app from AppWorld. This makes BB devices useless...

Contributor
yessuz
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-30-2011
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: App World : availability by country

totally agree with you.
Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,404
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: App World : availability by country

the way AppWorld is designed, it is a tri-party entity : the carrier, RIM and the government. That is the way it works, especially a part of everything bought on the AppWorld is given back to the carriers. It is no use discussing it, because this will never change.

 

That being said, the government has control on what is made available on AppWorld. RIM tries to push as hard as possible, and same for carriers, so that they have as many customers as possible that buy apps. Only the goverment can slow things down.

Or do you see any reason why a commercial company would rather have less clients ?




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer
Deevych
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎02-05-2011
My Device: Not Specified

Re: App World : availability by country

One reason - rather have less clients than change something. 

RIM feels good enough in USA and Canada (as primary and major markets), and the way they rule the AppWorld (if what you said is true) is no one's else problem, just RIM's.

As result - "selected" countries have AppWorld enabled, others - sucks (sorry, but can't pick other word to better describe this). 

Contributor
yessuz
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-30-2011
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: App World : availability by country

What government has to do with app availability? Government cannot regulate the market as It is open. Noone cares about such market, but android, apple and windows mobile has no problems. Only RIM.
We have the SAME EU law which prohibits the market limitations, especially by geography.
I talked to my carrier. According them, it's up to RIM to make it available. I see no reason why they did not do that yet.
Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,404
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: App World : availability by country


Deevych wrote:

One reason - rather have less clients than change something. 

RIM feels good enough in USA and Canada (as primary and major markets), and the way they rule the AppWorld (if what you said is true) is no one's else problem, just RIM's.

As result - "selected" countries have AppWorld enabled, others - sucks (sorry, but can't pick other word to better describe this). 



I guess you are an American citizen, so you do not know that the US is one of the country in the world where the BlackBerry has the smallest market share in the world...

RIM is mainly focusing on other markets (Asia & Europe & South America) and at the same time trying to cope with the US market.




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,404
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: App World : availability by country


yessuz wrote:
What government has to do with app availability? Government cannot regulate the market as It is open.

AppWorld is not an open market. That is exactly what I am saying. Ifyou open any application page in AppWorld, on the right column, at the bottom of it, you have the list of countries for which the application is available.

 

If you are not happy with that, please use another appshop for BlackBerry devices, like Handango or Handmark or MobiHand. They are available in all countries.




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
yessuz
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-30-2011
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: App World : availability by country

[ Edited ]

You are wrong. market, as such thing, is open. Noone gulates it. You can sell things at what ever price and conditions you want. Also, you cannot limit your product sale, let's say in UK only, and let's say, not let to sell it in other EU countries. The products you buy in one EU state, you can buy anywhere in EU without any additional taxation, no matter what EU country citizen you are. At least in theory, as I do not talk about the cases, where, let's say, reseller does not exists in the country.

 

Now, as you have a possibility to use one thing which is absolutelly legal and fully acceptable by ALL EU MEMBERS, you cannot say - ok, this country is worse then others.

 

That's just not right.

 

It's the same, as you could use App world in NY but it would be not available in NJ. it's nonsense.

 

And the governments nothing to do with it. They do not regulate the market They cannot set the prices or anything. it's absolutelly free..

 It's just stupid RIM pilicy. Not understandable at all. 

Developer
Deevych
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎02-05-2011
My Device: Not Specified

Re: App World : availability by country


Xandrex wrote:

Deevych wrote:

One reason - rather have less clients than change something. 

RIM feels good enough in USA and Canada (as primary and major markets), and the way they rule the AppWorld (if what you said is true) is no one's else problem, just RIM's.

As result - "selected" countries have AppWorld enabled, others - sucks (sorry, but can't pick other word to better describe this). 



I guess you are an American citizen, so you do not know that the US is one of the country in the world where the BlackBerry has the smallest market share in the world...

RIM is mainly focusing on other markets (Asia & Europe & South America) and at the same time trying to cope with the US market.


Absolutely not. I'm from Ukraine.
And here is why I told the North America is the majopr market for RIM:

http://paidcontent.org/images/editorial/_original/global-os-marketshare-feb.2011-o.png

 

 


Xandrex wrote:

If you are not happy with that, please use another appshop for BlackBerry devices, like Handango or Handmark or MobiHand. They are available in all countries.


Yes, this may work for BB smartphones.

But what about PlayBook? Do we have ANY alternative for AppWorld? Of course not... 

That's the primary reason I'm not happy with AppWorld availability restrictions.