Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
RoyD
My Device: 9300 3 G
My Carrier: Telecom NZ

App World does not start

[ Edited ]

Hi

Looks like this is a common problem so it should be an easy fix for you highly paid gurus or is the software just flakey. Looks like lots of people on the forum have this problem.

My Problem.  Click on Apps World and nothing happens.

Tried. Complete reinstall. absolutely new phone. does not work. Delete data and tried again and it worked yahoo. Downloaded 2 apps rebooted and downloaded another app yahoo it worked. A couple of hours later tried to download another app the Apps World did nothing. Now you are going to ask me me to to do this and that . I want he max I can do to fix the problem. Yes my phone is part of the enterprise and I have no restrictions. yes no restrictions. the phone is a curve 9300 or sometimes a 3G phone your choice.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: App World does not start

Hello RoyD

you are right lots of people on the forum have this problem. After wiping your phone did you do a full restore? Just curious.

There is something out there in the BlackBerry software world, for an example it could be a popular application which causes the App World to hang. If you open the menu via the BB button and select "Switch Application" and you see the 'App World' icon on this screen you have the same glitch that I had till this morning for the last 3 months. The App World is actually running from the moment you reboot and cannot be removed any more from the 'Switch Application' screen.

Let me know if you have this problem and I might be able to help you. My App World is only running a few hours without hanging so I cannot say for sure what is causing it but I know now the issue is caused by a glitch in the device software not the App World version. You were on the right track to wipe your phone but something re-established the glitch.

Also, can you share which were your three latest apps you were able to download? Maybe they become a starting point to circle this issue.

B y the way, forum suggestions are free of charge; so we contributors don't get paid except if users check the ' like' button we get a point but no money. Check the like button if you liked this answer or anybody else too. The more point a thread gets the more people find out about a certain issue. This tells other forum members something is going on with this thread. Welcome to the forum.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RoyD
My Device: 9300 3 G
My Carrier: Telecom NZ

Yes I did a full restore. I installed MSN and FlashLight 90684. Couldnt install the third one as App World would not work. Yes I am also getting" If you open the menu via the BB button and select "Switch Application" and you see the 'App World' icon on this screen you have the same glitch that I had till this morning for the last 3 months.".

Thanks for helping

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt

Thank you for your sharing your info. I was curious about your full restore because that is what I did 3 months ago after wiping my phone too.

Unfortunately, doing a full restore is the wrong remedy for this particular problem at his status in your phone as I learned yesterday. So the last three months I tried to download different App World versions not realizing that I lost the battle already in June when I did a full restore which re-established the problem. Reinstalling older or newer AW versions after the AW problem exists is doomed as many forum members can confirm.

Depending on your level of expertise I give you here only some highlights of what was suggested to me. Since the backup file has corrupted data a wipe will not help because we would use the same old backup file unless one selects only certain data as mentioned below. This might be worth a trial if you want to skip the reinstallation of your phone’s OS device software but I did not try this because the glitch could as well be infested in the OS.

I opened my Desktop Manager and removed all checkmarks in ‘Desktop Options’ found under ‘Tools’. I did a full backup and exited then desktop manager.

I then re-installed a new version of my phone’s device software using MS IE typing only blackberry.com/update (no ‘www.’ or ‘http://’ to be typed) on the address bar with my phone connected. Then I selected the ‘check for update button’ at the bottom right of the page (Chrome IE did not show the 2 blue/purple phones) and followed all instructions.

After my phone’s OS was restored I connected to the desktop manager again and did a partial ‘Restore’ from my Desktop Manager’s back up file. So don’t hit the ‘Restore’ button until you have first selected the round box labeled ‘Select device data and settings’ (this is a critical step!).

You will see a list popping up and one has to check those boxes which one wants to restore.

I think at this point in time nobody knows exactly which reloading of what data type is causing the frustration but the following selections worked for me so far:

Address Book – All, BlackBerry Messenger, BBM conversations, Calendar – All Messages, SMS Messages, Tasks, WLAN Profiles

So I got my phone working with this limited data selection and then checked in Application Management that AW version 3.1.4.25 was present.  (So it seems that my backup file also restored the newest AW app.) I selected the AW icon and AW eventually asked for rebooting ‘now’ or ‘later’. I selected’ later’ because on the next step you are asked to enter your BB ID. I did that and then rebooted again. Maybe, this ID entry step before rebooting is important because in the past I always selected reboot now without entering my ID first (who knows?).

After my phone rebooted again and the AW worked O.K I did then another ‘clean’ backup, i.e. without any corruption in the data. Why did I do another fresh backup? This new backup file should get me on my feet faster by just doing a wipe the next time if this problem reappears. A wipe does not reload the phone’s device OS software only deletes its data files. So this ‘clean’ backup file should allow me to sort things out faster. By the way, the above process took about 90 minutes.

I hope this helps. If you need more detailed instructions about the above process let me know. Today I downloaded almost all my missing apps from ‘My World’ via the ‘Uninstalled’ option. Maybe, some forum member can figure out which data type is detrimental to the AW health because everything else seemed to work OK on my phone. I certainly will let the forum know if the problem reappears as I will restore the remaining data types (slowly). So far I am still OK with AW working 24 hours later.

So I don’t know whether there is a bad app out there (I don’t thing your downloaded apps were the culprits) or bad data types but ultimately RIM will have to figure this out. RIM maintains this website and it gives their engineers a clue what they should be fixing next, maybe this issue (?). Thanks for the ‘like’ point

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt

HelloRoy’D,

Today was a day of experimenting. I wanted to see if I can recreate the AW app problem after my issue got resolved that is my AW app version 3.4.1.25 ran fine for 3 days after being unresponsive for 3 months.

Experiment 1: I wanted to test if restoring my data from the full backup would be detrimental. Result: AW v 3.4.1.25 kept working OK.

Experiment 2:  I reinstalled the device OS software from scratch using the update function from DTM (not via the browser). After the OS was reinstalled it asked me right away to update AW version 3.0.0.73 to version 3.4.1.25. So I did that and rebooted. Alas, AW was already running and I could not shut it down which is the problem which I guess most people have. So here is a case where this method of updating from an older to a newer version is not recommended and is currently a trap for some hardware (?) constellation.

Experiment 3: I repeated the procedure above, i.e. I used the web browser to update the software via blackberry/com/update and followed the clues. If it wants to update your desktop software first, do this step first; then reboot your PC; then repeat the whole web browser thing again. Result: AW app worked OK.

Here is a change. I recommended doing a partial restore from your full backup. While it worked ok, it is not the issue according to experiment 1. So forget about the critical step I mentioned elsewhere. It is not ’bad’ data or a ‘bad’ app but the way the update is implemented (?). Maybe, doing the update with desktop’s application utility is the way to untie the issue (to be tested next).

What did I learn? It looks like when one upgrades today from a working AW version to say 3.1.4.25 that leaves a tie up in the software between the OS and the AW app that can only be untied by the lengthy process of reinstalling the OS device software in your phone via the web browser method mentioned previously.

Unfortunately, at this point in time I don’t know of any shortcut if you have the issue that the AW icon is active on your ‘Switch Application’ screen, i.e. is unresponsive.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt

Here is the next update as promised:

Experiment 4: Installed AW 3.1.4.25 via the Application‘s import function. While it worked O.K. I lost the ‘Installed’ and ‘Uninstalled’ app lists in AW; but then I also noticed that OS6 was still corrupted …not a good solution even when the AW problem seemed to be resolved.

Result: I could not find any shortcut to overcome the ‘AW not working’ issue. I was successful to make the AW work properly or not work by reloading OS6 in different ways.

While there are many ways to deal with a successful reinstallation of OS6 device software (shown elsewhere on the forum) for a BB smart phone I chose a solution which can be implemented without pulling the battery , solves the AW problem, and does not require a lot of Window knowledge.

The good news is you won’t loose your installed apps because the new DTM 7 takes care of it. The other ‘bad’ news is for people who use the ‘Switch Device’ method to back up their apps regularly. This method will not work as long as OS6 has the AW issue. However, one can make back ups of installed apps again after OS6 runs without the AW glitch. It is a good idea to regularly back up ones apps too.

Here is what worked for me to remove the ‘glitch’. I used 2 tools: BlackBerry® Desktop Software 7.1 (DTM) and up–to-date OS6 device software.

1) In case you didn't’ notice, as of this month RIM has a new DTM version 7.1.0.32 (Bundle33) available. How to get it? Go to ‘?’ on the RHS top of your DTM page and click ‘Update’ and follow the instructions. If you don’t have DTM installed on your PC yet you can get it from BB’s website or use the DTM forum section for help how to install it on your PC.

2) Start DTM and after it settled down connect your phone to the PC. Hopefully it connects. (I have an old PC where the USB driver which came with the DTM did not work till I installed an older USB driver version). Retire the two other USB related windows popping up.

3) When your phone is connected wait till you get the ‘Sync All’ notice. Next select ‘Backup’ and check the ‘Full’ circle for a full data backup (e.g. your email, address book, phone settings, etc. data will be restored later, this is the choice I did for my phone) but if you worry about your pictures, movies, etc. then check the ‘Custom’ circle and check all 3 boxes. It will increase the backup time but it depends on your comfort level of reloading OS6. I chose ‘Full’ because I store my pictures and music on my 8 GB media card not the internal memory. The OS reinstall will wipe the internal memory but not the external media card so if your picture files are located on the internal memory try the ‘Custom’ backup. (Note: I have not tried ‘Custom’ back up so I cannot guarantee you won’t loose anything from your internal memory, but let’s hope it works. Otherwise, Windows Explorer to the rescue, i.e. copy pictures, etc. yourself from the internal memory to your hard drive before the next step.

4) After you have done a BU (verify it by checking for a dated .IPD file here: C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\BlackBerry\Backup). When this looks OK select on the DTM under Device ‘Update’. A window will pop up and it will search for updates. Now it depends on your 's PC device software installation history what happens next. In my case a window popped up and it had a selection box ‘View other versions’. I selected it and verified that my phone had the same device software as the list, e.g.  OS 6.0 Bundle 3049 on my phone checked with the same entry on top of this list..

5) If your phone and the selection list have the same info highlight the line and then click ‘Install’ and the magic of DTM 7 happens. Just wait till the music starts and then ‘escape’ it and you are almost done.

6) If step 5) did not work for you, i.e. the versions are not the same or no current device software exists on your PC, it is time to upload the newest version. Now, I don’t know whether it will find the new version for your device software automatically by going to the web or whether we users have to invoke the web browser step ourselves, i.e. one should shut down the DTM, opens one’s Microsoft Internet Explorer and enters: http://us.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/update.html/ Acknowledge the warning.

When this website is open select the ‘Check for Updates’ box beside the 2 purple BB phones. If you don’t see this box try it again. Maybe, with another browser. Chrome did not work for me but Microsoft. IE worked for me after ‘YES’ on the yellow warning line. This OS6 download will take a while. When this step is completed you will eventually see the box I used above in step 4 with the selection box ‘View other versions’. Click it and go back to step 4 where the selection box is mentioned.

7) What did I learn? DTM 7 restored all my apps and data. Don’t push any buttons on your phone till the installation window box vanishes. Some apps like ‘Poynt’ or other ones come up and ask for ‘yes ‘,…Ignore your phone till the installation window disappears shortly after it finished checkmarks  of completion on the ‘Back up, Install, Reboot, Restore’ lines.

8) It is now time to help your phone with answering some ‘yes’ questions and maybe a reboot. Do so.

9) Check whether your phone’s radio is turned on. That is the last thing the reinstallation does but if you don’t see your carrier’s logo on your phone’s top line turn it on yourself because AW needs it.

Open AW and do a restart as requested, there will be another one after the BB ID update. Restart again; now check out ‘My World’ and see whether you have to do any upgrades. Enjoy the new ‘Upgrade all’ feature. You should also be able to reinstall apps found under the ‘Uninstall’ label from previous installs.

10) What else did I learn? You might not have the initial success to reach step 9 because the problem of the AW glitch repeated during one of the reboots. Well, this happened to me too. Here is what I found. I started DTM and opened ‘Applications’ on the main screen. You might notice at the very bottom under ‘Application Summary’ an entry which states ‘BlackBerry 6.0.0 System Software ….’ and a red ‘check star’ on the top line of the App list. This means, you still have a corrupt OS6, i.e. the ‘AW not starting’ issue.

11) There might be some other apps tagging along under the system software line. That is ok. Now, it is time to repeat the reinstallation once more by clicking the ‘Apply’ button at the bottom right of the Application list screen.

12) Again, DTM 7 takes care of all steps and you should be able to reach step 9. When I induced the AW issue on my Torch to find a shortcut I had to repeat this additional step sometimes after the first reinstall session failed. This is something for RIM to figure out but it always got me out of the jam.

Important is to set a side about 2- 3 hours of free time if you use the ‘Full’ data backup without the media option. I did this reinstall many times and recovered from’ looping boot ups’ (the phone boots over and over again). So you will succeed but do not use DTM 6 anymore. DTM 7 is a big step forward and I like my new AW look and features.

If one likes this suggestion hit the’ Like’ button. If this update solved your AW problem hit the ’Solution’ button. Have courage to give it a try and life will be good again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Twiglets
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Virgin

Blimey you lot have time on your hands. You've lost me completely. I'll live without BAW until this can be fixed simply.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt

OK, I will rewrite this procedure a bit. When the AW issue is present, i.e. in the ’Switch Application’ screen clicking the AW icon just opens the ‘Home Screen’ then this is a sign that the device software has been compromised.

There are 2 KBs ‘How to perform a clean reload’ of your device software like KB11320 for WIN-PCs and KB19915 for MAC-PCs.

Now, I don’t recommend this ‘clean’ method because one looses all data and apps unless one has done a back up of all data and apps before this action. So make sure, you have done that anyway (see the link below).

Unfortunately, RIM has not written a KB for ‘How to perform a clean Restore’ where we reload a clean version of our device software but keep our data and apps. So in the meantime....

If you want to reload your device software and maintain your data and apps then we have to’ trick’ the phone into going for an ‘update’ even so we actually just want to reload the current device software.

Let’s assume DTM 7 is on the ‘Home Screen’ and your phone is connected and the RHS bottom says ‘Sync All’ and there is copy of your current device software installed on your PC.

1) Top LHS click ‘Device’ and then ‘Update’ (Think that reloading your current software can be considered as an update, i.e. the ‘compromised’ software gets ‘updated’ with ‘clean’ current software).

2) Wait a bit and you get a message: ’There are no Blackberry Device Software Updates available’ and then click ‘View other versions’

3) Wait till you see a box labeled ‘Available Versions’. It shows on my PC four versions, e.g. the top line says: 6.0 Bundle 30490(v6.0.0.706, Platform 6.6.0.246) (currently installed) with a check mark in the little LHS box. If you see a similar line, check the little LHS box and then click ‘Install…’.

4) It will take now some time (~ 30 min)  but eventually a message comes up saying: ‘Your software update is complete’.

Follow the prompts on your phone after you have turned on your phone’s radio and Internet connections. The rest you can figure out yourself or read a bit more at:

Upgraded App World on BlackBerry 9800 Not Launching

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Torch/Upgraded-App-World-on-BlackBerry-9800-Not-La...

I hope this posting is a bit simpler to follow. Waiting for a new release of AW is of course another option but it will not fix your compromised device software status (?).

This method is good to know if you can spare 40 minutes (It takes about 30 minutes to ‘Restore’ (get a coffee…) and 10 minutes to answer all prompts). While reloading the device software does not fix the underlying issue, i.e. rebooting one’s phone in the presence of this AW version might compromise the device software later again, it is still a good thing to have the current AW working.

I had to use this method now twice so my phone is up-to date. How about yours?  Let me know if this works now for you and then 'Like it' or 'Solution it' or tell me what I could still improve.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pOoooh
My Device: blackberry 9300
My Carrier: 9300

Blackberry application for 9300 ,when I click on the icon it does not work . Help
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt

This messages is for pOoooh

Unfortunately, this issue is still around. My current method to recover from the unresponsive AW icon (it happened again last week when I updated to the new BBM) is a bit simplified as you can see in this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-General/Can-t-Launch-App-World/td-p/2040...

If you follow my suggestion # 24 there the icon will work again because I believe the re-installation of the AW software together with the phone OS ‘fake update’ is a safer way of installing it on your phone then just installing alone.

Remember, you need a copy of your current device software, i.e. your phone’s OS installed on your PC which is not part of the DTM installation and has to be done before one tries to ‘Update’ the device software. Good luck.

Please use plain text.