Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
pejacoby
My Device: Not Specified

App World doesn't see apps already installed in default Firmware build

AppWorld does not recognized applications that are already on my device, installed as part of the carrier's firmware build.  This seems to cause problems with device state is reported by our BES server.

For example, my T-Mobile Curve 8900 came with BlackBerry Messenger 4.6.0, GoogleTalk 2.1.44, Yahoo Messenger 2.1.44, and Windows Live Messenger 2.1.44 pre-installed.

App World shows that later versions of these apps are available for download, but does not show them as UPGRADES to the already installed version.  App World appears to have no knowledge that the apps are already installed.

Using App World I downloaded the latest versions of GoogleTalk 2.5.27, Yahoo Messenger 2.5.27, and Windows Live Messenger 2.5.27.  When each app was installed, the BlackBerry asked if I wanted to replace the old version with the newer version.  The installs worked fine, and the apps were now visible in App World.

Back on our BES, my device now shows multiple versions of each application installed. and my device state is such that I can't push apps to it from the BES anymore.

Why the disconnect between the base-installed-apps and App World?  Why can't App World see ALL installed apps, no matter how they got onto the device?

As final insult, after installing BlackBerry Messenger 5 via App World, the BBM icon disappeared from my device.  I did a battery pull reboot, and came up with a "552 reload software' error, forcing a complete rebuild of the device....

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: App World doesn't see apps already installed in default Firmware build

hello,

AppWorld is mainly for nonBES users. It is an interface on its own that has pointers to the applications that are installed through AppWorld. That is the reason why AppWorld will never detect applications that you have pushed using BES.

if you wanted the situation to be plain you should have removed the applications and reinstalled them through AppWorld. The other solution is to continue pushing them from BES but never relying on AppWorld to upgrade them.

As a matter of fact, AppWorld is really interesting for premium applications and not free ones.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pejacoby
My Device: Not Specified

>That is the reason why AppWorld will never detect applications that you have pushed using BES.

Apps pushed from our BES aren't the point, as you note from my post's title.  AppWorld doesn't see the software that came installed by default with my BlackBerry's firmware.  That seems like a poor job of integration to me.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

okay let me rephrase : there is currently no integration between AppWorld and any other third party applications or modules installed on your device.

Creating an integration would raise several technical issues such as "I bought application XXX on MobiHand store with licence 3 that gives me set#3 of features, and want it in appWorld, and then I change device and switch my MyWorld Account to the new device, I want my application back with set #3 of features".

you will be able to have integration the day AppWorld will be released inside device OS.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.