Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook

Re: App world won't open

This is a response for jimanovic.

Here was my issue. I have a Torch 9800 with v 6.0.0.706 and AW v 4.0.0.65 running OK for the last 4 weeks and then after a reboot the AW icon would not launch AW anymore. AW was already running even so I never started it – is this the issue you have?.

I uninstalled and reloaded 4.0.0.65 yesterday but the AW icon would not launch it because it was already running after the download.  Rebooting a few times or pulling the battery did not work either.

Since this is a 2 year old problem I knew that I needed about 30 minutes time to reload my current device software including all data and apps again.

However, before I ‘soft wiped’ my phone today I tried one more time to uninstall and re-install AW 4.0.0.65 and surprise: there was a new version 4.3.0.26 on the website but unfortunately the issue of the unresponsive icon remained.

Obviously, my device software had been compromised before the download. Let’s hope that this version will not allow an automatic restart after loading some other apps or rebooting the phone in the future as all previous versions did on my phone after AW 3.1.2.32.

Here is my 5 step method to get out of the jam.

Let’s assume Desktop Manager 7.1.0.32 shows the ‘Home Screen’, your phone is connected, and you see the message: ‘Sync All’ and there is a copy of your current device software installed on your PC and you made a full back up.

1) Click ‘Device’ and then ‘Update’

2) Wait for the message: ‘There are no Blackberry Device Software Updates available’ and then click ‘View other versions’.

3) Wait till you see a box labeled ‘Available Versions’ and verify that the check-marked version is your current version and then click the ‘Install’ button at the bottom’.

You might get a message like: An updated Blackberry Desktop Software component must be installed before you can continue. Select: ‘Install’ because your desktop software is not up to date yet. Follow all the prompts and then reconnect your phone and repeat steps 1, 2, 3 above. (It happened to me today. Make a new full backup once more or you get later this message: The backup file is corrupt. If possible, create another backup file and try again, or chose another restore option.).

4) Uncheck: ‘Email me…’ in the next yellow ‘Update Options’ box which enables the ‘Install update’ button which we need to continue. Select it now and another box appears saying: Updating Blackberry Device Software. This box will be with you for about 22 minutes but eventually will say: ‘Your software update is complete’. Close this window and disconnect your phone.

5) Follow all prompts on your phone after you have turned on your phone’s radio and WiFi Internet connections in case they are still off. (Mine were off. After I hear the music I usually just hit the escape button a few times and that’s  it).

When your phone is working again, e.g. you can send emails; select the AW icon and then follow all prompts. Ignore the first ‘Restart now’ because you just did. Restart after you BBID has been updated. (If you get issues with your BBID in AW make sure you were successful to send an email. One needs to wait to get connectivity with your service provider before you try to launch AW after a 'soft wipe').

FYI, today I installed version AW 4.3.0.26 and noticed it installed also my paid app versions automatically which 4.0.0.65 could not do!!

I have employed the above 5 steps always when my AW icon did not seem to work.  I was always able to get any version of AW working again provided the version I want is still loaded on my phone and runs in an unresponsive loop.

It is important not to uninstall the running AW version of your choice. It will be re-installed as part of your device software update which is actually a re-install of your current device software and is considered a ‘soft wipe’ because while it ‘wipes’ the glitch in the device software it reloads all your data and app-files which the ‘hard wipe’ does not do by design.

Let me know if these steps worked for you. Good Luck.

New Contributor
fuzzychaos
My Device: Torch 9800

@BB4Matt, you're solution works!  Thank you! :Eek::Punk:  I'm using a Torch 9800 with v6.0.0.723 now and also on AW v4.3.0.26 (the combination was not working with .3xx/.723 before trying your method).  After fighting with my phone to get AW to work since last November when it updated to 4.0.0.65 causing the problem, it is finally working properly.  I changed the OS, the phone, wiped it every which way, wifi only, ... and just couldn't get it to work.  My symptoms were like you describe but I know exactly what stopped the AW from loading and just getting stuck with the icon in my running apps list but never loading.  The AW would work until it asked to update the BlackBerry ID, once it did that it would fail to work.

Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook

@fuzzychaos, good to know it worked for you too. I had no more issues with AW going into a loop with v4.3.0.26 even with new app donwloads and restarts. Thanks for the graphic kudos but why not hit the '+thumb up button' in your answer box too ? A 'like' response gets more press...