Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550

AppWorld is dead to me

I guess I've bought my last AppWorld app.

Tried to download Poynt today and AppWprld asked me to sign in - not wth my BlackBerry ID but rather my email address.  I couldn't remember which of several email addresses I might have used so I looked through all of my accounts for an email from donotreply about the time I signed up for the service and in the intervening year.  Nothing.  Took forever since I had to search my domain accounts, GMail, my work account, the Verizon account and my ISP accounts. A couple hours later and still nothing.  Most likely I would have used the BlackBerry.net address but of course, those age off in 60 days or so.

OK, well maybe I didn't generate an account.  It's possible I bought the few apps I have from the developer's web site,  Nope.  The 'tdotrob' ID is taken.  Seems like that is probably mine since your name has to be T.Rob for that ID to make sense and it's a small club.  I'd *really* like to recover that ID if in fact it's mine.

No problem.  I'll just reset the ID.  Except there's no place to reset the ID.  Only the email.  In fact, except for being a field that blocks you from getting in, the BlackBerry ID seems to have no value whatsoever.  It doesn't sign you on to anything.  You can't reset it.  It doesn't show up on any password recovery screens.  It just represents a unique key to an account you can never recover.

• I do NOT want to create another ID if I already own the tdotrob ID.  I have synchronized all my accounts as much as possible and I abhor having to create random new ones just to enable vendors to sell me stuff.  I have enough IDs to keep track of already.  Of course, there's no way to tell if that account is mine because there's no way to access the account or reset the password using the ID!!
  • I do NOT want to generate yet another useless email account just to enable vendors to sell me stuff.  I have more than enough email accounts to keep track of already.

Now, with close to five hours invested, I have come to the conclusion that it's not worth it.  I could generate a new account or I could pursue getting this one unlocked, but that would require a belief that the benefit to me would outweigh the cost and some confidence in the vendor.  Although I believe the apps are useful, the investment in time seems to have no end in sight and I have lost confidence in the vendor.  After all, this is not rocket science - I am holding in my hand a perfectly good two-factor authentication device keyed to my phone number.  If RIM hasn't figured out by now that they can reset passwords BY SENDING THEM TO OUR PHONES, especially given the level of activity in password reset forum threads, then is there any hope that they will? I'm not holding my breath.

Heads-up, RIM - the value of your phones depends in large part on the ability to sustain a robust 3rd party ISV community and the thing you have to offer developers is me, the user.  They way you keep me is to make it insanely easy for me to participate, not insanely difficult.  My device is up for replacement soon.  In the meantime, I've bought my last app.  No app in the world is worth this much aggravation.

Solutions: 6,066
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: AppWorld is dead to me

Uness I am confused about what you are asking, it is the email which is entered to reset the password.

tdotrob wrote:

Except there's no place to reset the ID.  Only the email.  In fact, except for being a field that blocks you from getting in, the BlackBerry ID seems to have no value whatsoever.  It doesn't sign you on to anything.  You can't reset it.  It doesn't show up on any password recovery screens.  It just represents a unique key to an account you can never recover.

So, you shouldn't have create a new ID (although that really isn't beyond comprehension) but here is where you enter the email in order to get the reset password.

https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/recoverpassword/

tdotrob wrote:

• I do NOT want to create another ID if I already own the tdotrob ID.  I have synchronized all my accounts as much as possible and I abhor having to create random new ones just to enable vendors to sell me stuff.  I have enough IDs to keep track of already.  Of course, there's no way to tell if that account is mine because there's no way to access the account or reset the password using the ID!!
  • I do NOT want to generate yet another useless email account just to enable vendors to sell me stuff.  I have more than enough email accounts to keep track of already.

But you did create yet another "account" just for this forum. Same difference, should you need to create yet another BlackBerryID.

But the link above should work for you.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550

JSanders wrote:

Uness I am confused about what you are asking, it is the email which is entered to reset the password.

As I noted in the original post, I don't know from which email address I might have created the account and I've tried all the active ones that I have right now.  My point was that most other systems with an ID, an email and a password will let you look up one of these if you know the other two.  Requiring us to know the email in all cases and treating the account as disposable is user-unfriendly to the point of being hostile.

And I wasn't asking for help or anything.  I was merely alerting RIM that if that's the best they can do, I have other choices.  It's customer money that drives this whole ecosystem and RIM needs us more than we need RIM so fix it already.

JSanders wrote:

So, you shouldn't have create a new ID (although that really isn't beyond comprehension) but here is where you enter the email in order to get the reset password.

https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/recoverpassword/

See previous comment. If I had the email address, I'd have reset the account.  You are right about one thing, though - I shouldn't have to create a new ID.  Nobody should.  But check the forum - that's the standard response.  Fail.

JSanders wrote:

But you did create yet another "account" just for this forum. Same difference, should you need to create yet another BlackBerryID.

But the link above should work for you.

Big difference between creating another account and creating another ID.  I want one account per site and to some extent I want to synchronize the account names (IDs) to minimize the number I must manage.  Yes, I created an account for this forum and I used the same ID I use at dozens of other sites. Now when I come here, I don't have to try to remember what random characters I added to the ID to make it unique.

When I sign up for an account and hand over my personal information I expect my vendor has an obligation to safeguard that information and treat it as having financial value.  In this case, RIM is treating my data as disposable: "Lost your credentials? Create a new account!"  No, sorry.  If that's the best they can do then they don't deserve my data or my patronage.

My Device: BB Storm 2

I agree I recenlty bought several Apps and renewed one App the renewal may have finally gone through 4 days later and the other 2 Apps still don't work right.  This never happened when I purchased Apps from Crackberry and to add insult to injury there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE unless you purchase some kind of support package.  They are happy to take our money but once they have it and the product doesn't work they can't be contacted.  BACK TO CRACKBERRY!!!

My Device: Tour 9630

I just had my entire post wiped out by some error on the BB forum. I'm not going to spend the time to retype the whole thing. In short, 7 hours in the last week to try and get back into appworld. It's all been said very well by other posters with the same problems and frustrations. Googled it, read extensively in this forum and talked to my carrier- still no solution to what is a very common and simple problem. RIM- IT SHOULD HAVE A SIMPLE SOLUTION!! 10 weeks left until I get away from BB's. I'm going Android.