Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Regular Contributor
jonnyb
My Device: Storm 2 9550
Accepted Solution

Archiving Deletes Application from Device

Hi,

For the first time I'm having real trouble with App World.  With the newest version 1.1.0.20, when I choose to archive an application (because I quickly run out of device memory) it deletes the application from my device.  The icon disappears and everything.  It's making it so I don't have the memory necessary to run my device.  I've already uninstalled and re-installed App World a couple times, re-booted the device etc., and nothing is changing.  What's the deal?

Thanks!!

Verizon 8330

OS 4.5.0.138

App World 1.1.0.20

Jonnyb
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jonnyb

Re: Archiving Deletes Application from Device

Hi all,

105 views and no response or help.  This is stil an issue and I don't know what to do because I'm running out of memory.  Anyone care to help a brotha out?  Please?!

jonnyb

Jonnyb
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there!

Sorry, but I'm a little confused. At first, you said that AppWorld was deleting apps from your device. Then you say that it's not freeing up memory and you are running out. Aren't those contradictory? Wouldn't deleting the app free up the memory? Sorry, but I'm confused as to exactly what you are doing and exactly what is happening. So, please clarify and perhaps someone will have something to help you out.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jonnyb

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.  The reason I'm running out of memory is because I can't archive my current or new applications, therefore my memory is very low.

Here's the scenario: when I select to "Archive" an application in App World, the devise goes through what appears to be a normal process, but the end result is the ICON gone from my home screen and the application removed from the APPLICATIONS on my device.  When I go in and EXPLORE my media card all of the archived applications are there but I can't do anything with the files.

Hope that makes sense....

Thanks!!

Jonnyb
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Oh...OK...well, I've not done that process, but I believe that all things to do with the archived application must be done via AppWorld. It actually sounds like the archival process went correctly...it removed the app from your device and placed the archive file onto your media card for later restore. If you archived it via AppWorld, then you would restore it also via AppWorld...the file on your media card is just the stored archived app...useable only by AppWorld to restore from. So, use the AppWorld interface to do anything with the file...not the file explorer.

But, again, how does that relate to AppMemory?

Or, is the problem that the archival files are taking up Media Card memory and you are running out of space there? In which case you need to decide what to sacrifice.

And, in what you just wrote, your first paragraph says that you can't archive your apps...yet your second paragraph says that you do archive them...so sorry, but I remain confused...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jonnyb

Ok.....  I understand that paragraph 1 wouldn't make sense when looking at it separate from paragraph 2, however, when you read them together in contex I believe it makes sense.  Let me be more clear.  The reason that I can't archive the applications is because they are REMOVED FROM MY DEVICE when I do so.  Therefore I can't archive them if I want to continue to USE THEM.  I'm running out of device memory for new applications because I can't archive them once I download them, unless I want them to disappear from my home screen and applications list.

So... yes, the archiving process seem to work just fine, that is until it's complete and the app is no longer on my device or my home screen; NOWHERE, except when I explore my SD card and discover that they are in fact archived but not visible on the home screen or appications list.  Once again, after being archived the apps are HISTORY.  This isn't right and shouldn't be happening.  I'm a very experience BB user and can't figure this out for the life of me.

Thank a ton!

Jonnyb
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

From my understanding, once you archive an application it WILL disappear from your applications list in Options>Advanced Options>Applications. The point of archiving is to uninstall the app from your phone and store it on your SD card until you decide to reinstall it.

When you want to use it again, go to your downloads section in App World and click on the link to the app; you should get a message asking you if you want to restore the app. If you say yes, it will get reinstalled from the SD card instead of redownloading the app.

Does this make sense?

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart

See here for more info: http://blogs.blackberry.com/2009/07/blackberry-app-world-11.html

The pics help in understanding what happens and how to restore the apps.

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jonnyb

Well, this is a perfect example of how we're ALWAYS learning!  I totally misunderstood how the archiving system worked and why it was created.  I was under the [logical] impression that "Archiving" was a way to have more active and usable applications on one's BlackBerry since onboard memory is limited, especially in the case of the Curve.  I'm glad I was corrected and it's obvious that App World on my device is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, regardless of how I think it should work!:smileyhappy:

Thanks so much Kijana!

Jonnyb
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart

Unfortunately Blackberry devices don't allow running of apps from the media card...it has something to do with keeping data secure according to my understanding. Glad we got that cleared up for you :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Kijana
Please remember to:
Please use plain text.