Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8330
Accepted Solution

BB messenger inactive user?

I recieved this from several of my BB msg contacts.  Is it a scam?

Hello, greetings from RIM (Research In Motion) proprietors of BlackBerry. This message is to inform all of our users, that our servers have recently been really full, so we are asking for your help to fix this problem. We need our active users to re-send this message to everyone on your contact list inorder to confirm our active users that use BlackBerry Messenger, if you do not send this message to all your BlackBerry Messenger contacts then your account will remain inactive with the consequence of losing all your contacts.

We apologize for the inconvenience but this is the only way possible to resolve this problem. Sincerely Research in Motion. For more information visit:
www.blackberry.com/inactiveuser

My Device: curve

Re: BB messenger inactive user?

lkfsmith wrote:

I recieved this from several of my BB msg contacts.  Is it a scam?

Hello, greetings from RIM (Research In Motion) proprietors of BlackBerry. This message is to inform all of our users, that our servers have recently been really full, so we are asking for your help to fix this problem. We need our active users to re-send this message to everyone on your contact list inorder to confirm our active users that use BlackBerry Messenger, if you do not send this message to all your BlackBerry Messenger contacts then your account will remain inactive with the consequence of losing all your contacts.

We apologize for the inconvenience but this is the only way possible to resolve this problem. Sincerely Research in Motion. For more information visit:
www.blackberry.com/inactiveuser

Hey I just got the same message from two contacts...I think its spam too so I'm NOT forwarding it on just in case. Anyone know what's going on?

HELP!

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

I have received this message as well in purple colored font but I would assume any "official" messages from RIM would be sent as a "System Message" and not in a method that would interrupt an active existing chat. It would be nice if someone who works for RIM would answer these queries.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

It looks like there's a few of these threads on other parts of the forums.

A hoax message circulating on BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) asks users to forward on the BBM message to their contacts in order to maintain BBM service, and claims to have been originally sent by Research In Motion (RIM).  

Rest assured that this BBM message did not originate from RIM and that it does not impact the security of BlackBerry smartphones. It is simply a hoax chain message. Unfortunately, many social networking applications face this scenario, whereby any message, including a hoax message, can be forwarded to a user from one of their contacts. We recommend that users simply ignore the message and do not forward it.

English version of illegitimate broadcast message:

Hello, greetings from RIM (Research In Motion) proprietors of BlackBerry. This message is to inform all of our users, that our servers have recently been really full, so we are asking for your help to fix this problem. We need our active users to re-send this message to everyone on your contact list in order to confirm our active users that use BlackBerry Messenger, if you do not send this message to all your BlackBerry Messenger contacts then your account will remain inactive with the consequence of losing all your contacts.

www.blackberry.com/inactiveusers

Spanish version of illegitimate broadcast message:

Hola, reciban un cordial saludo de parte de Research In Motion propietarios de la marca BlackBerry. Este mensaje es para informarle que nuetros servidores han estado ultimamente muy  llenos, asi que porfavor requerimos de su ayuda para mejorar este problema. Por lo tanto necesitamos que reenvieen este mensaje a toda su lista de contactos para asi poder comprobar los usuarios activos de BlackBerry Messenger, de lo contrario de no enviar este mensaje a toda su lista de contactos, su BlackBerry Messenger quedara como inactivo teniendo como consequencia la perdida de todos su contactos.

Disculpen las molestias pero es asi la unica manera de resolver este grave problema. Sinceramente Research In Motion. Para mas informacion visiten: www.blackberry.com

My Device: Tour 9630

[ Edited ]

I figured as much. Thank you for an informed response. Much appreciated.

New Contributor

I agree about RIM and I sent an email to their help desk and they referred my back to bb!  My message was in purple font also but I assumed that was because it was sent as a broadcast msg?

Thanks y'all for responding.

New Contributor

Thanks CerealBypass!!!! 

My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300

i have had my blackberry for about 6 months now

and it has only recently started to play up..

what can i do ? everytime i send a bb message, it comes up with a red sqared clock next to it for a long time & then it takes ages to send when the tick shows up next to it as well ?

any ideas what i can do to solve the problem ?

My Device: curve 9300

Hi!

I received this pin and presumed it was a scam so I deleted it.  No offence, but most things like this I've come across before have been scams!  Now, I know it's not a scam I would like to send it to be contacts and prove that I am not an inactive user.  Is there anyway I get the pin back???? The person who sent it to me the first time won't resend it.  Any other suggestions and quickly?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

[ Edited ]

nadinelia11 wrote:

Hi!

I received this pin and presumed it was a scam so I deleted it.  No offence, but most things like this I've come across before have been scams!  Now, I know it's not a scam I would like to send it to be contacts and prove that I am not an inactive user.  Is there anyway I get the pin back???? The person who sent it to me the first time won't resend it.  Any other suggestions and quickly?

This is indeed a fake message. You are never marked as an "inactive" user on BBM and RIM does not have the ability to delete your BBM contacts from your device. There is no need to forward the message to anyone on your list.