Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Trusted Contributor
DrFever
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless (Canada)

BBM 7 Problems - Can't restore after OS Re-install

I had to reinstall my operating system due to problems I was having.  I had BBM 7 on my phone.

When I restored everything, it all seemed to work fine... then I went to BBM, opened the app and for an hour now I've been stuck in this loop without anything happening ... even going so far as to selectively restoring BBM from my back up file.  Here's a screen image of what I am seeing.  I can't even get into the app.

Any help would be appreciated.

BBM.jpg

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: BBM 7 Problems - Can't restore after OS Re-install

try this :
1) battery pull
2) log in BlackBerry ID
3) launch BBm

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I'd suggest this, in this order.

1. Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. Then, try the BBID login again and allow BBM to restore.
  2. Remove BBM7 by deleting it from your BlackBerry at Options > Device > Applications Administration. Scroll and find it and delete, and reboot again as described above. Then, after reboot, go to www.blackberry.com/bbm and download BBMessenger again and login your BlackBerryID. (I'd recommend doing this while connected to a WiFi source, but it shouldn't matter, just make it faster).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DrFever

I've done all that ...I re-entered my Blackberry ID and still cannot get out of that "Restoring BBM" loop that I posted above.

It should not take that long to restore my BBM should it?

I evn tried doing a selective restore of my BBM using the backup file created this morning before I did an operating system re-load but It doesn't do anything ... seems like the method by which BBM is handled changed with version 7.

This is extremely frustrating ... I've got to carry on a business and all my BBM groups and contacts are on that BBM list.

If I selectively restore an older backup file might that help?  Then I just upgrade BBM?

I am at my wits end ... this should not be taking this long.....It's already been in the "restoring BBM" loop for 20 minutes and that circle next to it keeps moving so it's trying to do something but nothing is working.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Ok, well unless I missed it above, you never said you did "all this" in the same order and exactly as I instructed.

I'd try it again.

OR, you can downgrade to BBM 6.2, is that something you want to do?

If so, read this::

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DrFever

Sorry for not being clearer .... I'm in panic mode considering the meetings I have for later this afternoon and the predicament this has placed me in now.

I will try to downgrade to the older BBM version, restore and then work from there to try to upgrade.

I'll keep the board posted on the status of this.

Regards

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

if you have important meetings, don't do anything that may eat up your time (like upgrading an app...). But since it's done, downgrade to 6.2 and you'll be good to go.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DrFever

OK, I have managed to succesfully delete BBM 7 and re-install BBM 6.2.

Now, because I followed the instructions, it does not show up in my "installed apps" in my Blackberry World "my world". 

I think I know why I never was able to restore it because it seems as though from what I've been reading, I need to re-register the emails to do a remote backup.....

But before I get there, since it now doesn't show up in my appworld. how can I do an upgrade to BBM7 now that BBM6.2 has been succesfully installed and all contacts restored.  Then I'll go one step at a time to trouble shoot the recovery in bbm7.

Thanks to all by the way for the fantastic help thus far ... and pardon my anxiety ... I was able to push my meetings to tomorrow. Works out better for me anyways.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

You're welcome.

DrFever wrote:

But before I get there, since it now doesn't show up in my appworld. how can I do an upgrade to BBM7 now that BBM6.2 has been succesfully installed and all contacts restored.  Then I'll go one step at a time to trouble shoot the recovery in bbm7.

Make sure your BLackBerryID on the device is logged in, at Options > Device > BlackBerryID.

Make sure that is working ok.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DrFever

OK, here's what I've done ... First off, thanks again to everyone but one issue has now led to another discovered one....

I uninstalled BBM7
I installed BBM 6.2
Using the remote backup feature with BBM 6.2 I registered my email addresses and of course did a back up of device in Desktop Manager.
I restored contacts.
I upgraded back to BBM7 and re-booted.
When I opened BBM after the re-boot I was prompted for BBID .. Entered it and all contacts were restored.

Now .. New issue ....

I notice there is no more option to do any remote backups using registered email addresses.
I backed up using Desktop Manager.

However when I enter contacts in address book or edit existing ones, the device freezes when I press "SAVE". It locks up for about a minute rendering device unuseable before it frees up again.

So, my questions are ... Is there no longer a remote backup option and is BBM7 now automatically saving changes on the BBM server? (I suspect this much given I was stalled on the above pictured screen for half an hour before giving up and resorting to the help and steps above)

And, is anyone experiencing this contact edit/save freezing and might it be related to BBM7? If today's experience is any indication then I am really concerned about the manner in which BBM7 is backed up.

Can anyone offer some insight or additional help?

Thank you.
Please use plain text.