Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: BBM 7 Problems - Can't restore after OS Re-install

JSanders and I specifically encouraged you to log in BlackBerry ID while using BBM6.2.

It is because this enables you to store your BBM contacts within your BBID.

Indeed, in BBM7, you cannot restore from a backup file, because it's not the way it works. The way it works is to synchronize the BBM contacts from your BBID.

For most people, they already have logged in BBID while using BBM6, so the BBID backs up the BBM contacts "in the BlackBerry cloud". It seems it was not the case for you.

please read :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Downloaded-applications-for/New-BBM-7-Update-Now-Available-Ge...

Please do the steps in the right order

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Trusted Contributor
DrFever
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900

[ Edited ]

Xandrex wrote:
JSanders and I specifically encouraged you to log in BlackBerry ID while using BBM6.2.

It is because this enables you to store your BBM contacts within your BBID.

Indeed, in BBM7, you cannot restore from a backup file, because it's not the way it works. The way it works is to synchronize the BBM contacts from your BBID.

For most people, they already have logged in BBID while using BBM6, so the BBID backs up the BBM contacts "in the BlackBerry cloud". It seems it was not the case for you.

please read :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Downloaded-applications-for/New-BBM-7-Update-Now-Available-Ge...

Please do the steps in the right order

i have followed the instructions exactly as indicated.

Here’s what I’ve done:

A battery pull with the device powered on, left battery out for 3 minutes. Did a reboot

Un-installed BB7

Did a battery pull with device powered on and again waited 3-5 minutes before installing BBM 6.2

When 6.2 was installed, all contacts re-appeared.

I again go to Options > Device > BlackBerry ID and I see that it is already logged in because it is not prompting me for a password.  I then got to app world and see that I am already logged in because it is not prompting me for a log-in. When I go to Options > Device > BlackBerry ID it is already logged in and provides no other options other than those to change my password. Am I to assume it is already logged in?  I check for updates and ge the message that my blackberry ID software is up to date.

Blackberry messenger 6.2 though doesnt show up in the installed apps list in my world of blackberry app world.

I un-installed BBM 6.2 once I confirmed all contacts were restored and then did a battery re-boot and waited a few minutes.

I followed the link provided and installed BBM 7

When I open the app it prompted me to log in to BBID

When I logged in it said that BBM is associated with my ID and would I like to restore?  I click yes

Then it hangs on "Restoring BBM" as in the image in the first post.

What am I missing and is there anyway to actually verify that my BBM data is actually getting stored in the Blackberry "cloud"

Trusted Contributor
DrFever

OK, I did it one more time ..... I apologize but there was one step I was missing.

I was using AppWorld (out of habbit) to get BBM7

Instead, I followed all steps but when it came time to install BBM7 I used www.blackberry.com/bbm from my device.

This asked me to replace existing version, I accepted. Once download was complete, it prompted for device re-boot.

When the device re-booted I went to open BBM and got the BBID log in screen ... I entered password and got "BBM information is available for your blackberry ID xxxxxxx@xxxxx.com Restore BBM Now?".

I pressed "continue" and got "Restoring BBM" for about 1 second and then "BBM now connected to your blackberry I'd" and voila!!! All contacts and groups came back.

So, question.... Is it safe to now assume that my BBM is being automatically backed up on the "BB cloud" now given that there is no "backup" option anymore in the options menu?

Lastly.....

In APP World, I don't SEE BBM in my "installed" folder but rather it shows in my "uninstalled" folder. Should I be concerned? I really don't want to go through this day long ordeal again. I am assuming it is not showing up in my installed folder because I didn't install it through App World but through the direct www.blackberry.com/bbm link itself? Am I correct?

Anyways ... I'll be thanking all appropriate people tomorrow ... Right now I desperately need to get some work done.

Thanks again and I look forward to some answers to these questions. For peace of mind. Thanks.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Xandrex wrote:

I have given feedback that a local BBM contact backup should be enabled once again in a future release of BBM.

Keep your fingers crossed.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
Xandrex

JSanders wrote:

Sorry to seem rude, but do not follow that advice. It will increase the frequency of typographical errors.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
JSanders

Xandrex wrote:

JSanders wrote:

Sorry to seem rude, but do not follow that advice. It will increase the frequency of typographical errors.

as;l kdt ja;lsdk  !  :smileyhappy:

cgfn  a'spdtasdt! aokasdds?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Guru I
Xandrex

Your autocorrect spellchecker seems configured for an exotic language. Are you typing this from an Apple iPad ?

Trusted Contributor
DrFever

I had a heck of a day with BB7 yesterday but finally got it to work and get my contacts restored.

Turns out after having to do a complete OS re-install for some other issue, BB7 lost all contacts. I had to revert back to BBM 6.2, then upgrade to BB7 using the BBM 7 mobile link because doing it via the appworld wouldn't work and I want to thank you all for the very detailed instructions here. Just to finalize this and get a better understanding, it would be appreciated if I could get some additional info.

I now know that there is no  ability to backup BB7 remotely anymore and as I learned, forget the backup file created during backup because restoring that does nothing either.  It is all affiliated with Blackberrry ID.

I am told that BBM7 is now associated with your blackberry ID and that the information in BB7 is now saved on Blackberry's "cloud". This is why we've gotten the "associating BBM7 with your blackberry ID" messages when updating.

Question: How do we know for sure that the information is indeed getting backed up or is being associated with our blackberry ID's?? I would hate for a phone crash to discover that this was not the case?

In yesterday's back and forth, I was told to log in to Blackberry ID during the steps but I note my phone seems to always be logged in to blackberry ID.  When I go to options, - Device Blackberry ID, I am already logged in.  Also, the fact that when I open App World and don't need to enter our password or log-in information (Blackbery ID) tells me our phones are always connected or logged in to Blackberry ID. Am I correct in this assumption? Therefore, is there a need to log-in to Blackberry ID from our phone to backup BBM? Are all changes made within BBM auto-saved on BB's 'cloud'?

Last question:

Given that I needed to download BB7 from the blackberry messenger mobile site link and NOT through App world, BBM is no longer listed under "installed apps" in my Appworld's "My World" list of installed apps. It does show in my "uninstalled" list though, presumably the uninstalled BBM 6.2.

Question: Do I need to worry about this? Given that it is no longer listed in my installed apps in appworld, how will I receive notification of any future updates? Do I need to worry or care that it is no longer listed under my installed apps in appworld?

Thank you to all that take the time to reply. It is greatly appreciated.

JSanders

DrFever wrote:

Question: How do we know for sure that the information is indeed getting backed up or is being associated with our blackberry ID's?? I would hate for a phone crash to discover that this was not the case?

Well, you have to trust, for now. RIM has been given feedback that we'd like the BBM contacts backup locally to the media card returned as a function in BBM. So far I have not had a problem restoring. I know many others have.

DrFever wrote:

Question: Do I need to worry about this? Given that it is no longer listed in my installed apps in appworld, how will I receive notification of any future updates? Do I need to worry or care that it is no longer listed under my installed apps in appworld?

No. Probably after the next reboot of your device, or an AppWorld > MyWorld > Menu key > Refresh, it will show up.

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
DrFever

Thank you for all the invaluable help.