Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: BBM 7 Problems - Can't restore after OS Re-install

DrFever wrote:

In yesterday's back and forth, I was told to log in to Blackberry ID during the steps but I note my phone seems to always be logged in to blackberry ID.  When I go to options, - Device Blackberry ID, I am already logged in.  Also, the fact that when I open App World and don't need to enter our password or log-in information (Blackbery ID) tells me our phones are always connected or logged in to Blackberry ID. Am I correct in this assumption? Therefore, is there a need to log-in to Blackberry ID from our phone to backup BBM? Are all changes made within BBM auto-saved on BB's 'cloud'?

if you look closely, it seems that your id for the BlackBerry Messenger service, is not your PIN anymore (8 characters). The ID has shifted from your device PIN to your BlackBerryID.

so from that assumption, it seems now impossible to use BBM7 without being logged in BBID.

On the other hand, for a BBM6 user, the ID is still the PIN, so some users have been using their BBM (6) without being logged in BBID. For those users, obviously, BBM does not synchronize the BBM contacts into the BBID cloud.

That is why I really insisted that you logged in BBID while using BBM6.

but I know of no means to be sure that BBM6 has sent your contacts to your BBID.

On the other hand, for BBM7, I am pretty sure that it is designed to always send your contacts to your BBID. But I don't know what are the failsafe methods for BBM7 and how it will react when the sending fails. There is currently no way of knowing, as far as my knowledge goes.

DrFever wrote:

Given that I needed to download BB7 from the blackberry messenger mobile site link and NOT through App world, BBM is no longer listed under "installed apps" in my Appworld's "My World" list of installed apps. It does show in my "uninstalled" list though, presumably the uninstalled BBM 6.2.

Question: Do I need to worry about this?

No you do not need to worry about this.

DrFever wrote:

Given that it is no longer listed in my installed apps in appworld, how will I receive notification of any future updates?

you won't. But somehow you'll get the info (whether here or by friends).

You can also register to the BlackBerry Beta Zone, and chose to participate in a future beta test programme for the next version of BBm. Where you can help RIM discover bugs :smileywink: before the beta version goes gold and is made available to all the users.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Trusted Contributor
DrFever
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900

Xandrex ...

Yes, I ensured I was logged in.

When I downloaded BBM7 I was prompted to log-in again to my BBID and got the message:

"BBM information is available for your blackbery ID xxxxxx@xxxx.com. Restore BBM Now? >Continue or Cancel"

Pressed Continue and it restored contacts so I presume it was backed up on BBID.

If I have one concern is that when I save adress book entries or changes, the device "hangs" for a minute. Same is true for BBM, when I deleted a contact it "hung" and did the same when I sent an invite. Is contact info in adress book being sent to the BBM "cloud" too? What can explain this hanging? I run very few apps. Twitter, screen grabber, facebook, Appworld and LinkedIn. Curious.

Thanks again for all the help.
Contributor
LucaDugaro
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300

Where do you find the mobile link to download bbm7 because when i try to download it, it always brings me back to the app world. Can you please put the link in your answer please?
Guru I
Xandrex

to reinstall BBM 6.2, read ahead:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Downloaded-applications-for/HOWTO-install-BBm-6-2-if-you-have...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
LucaDugaro

I need to know how to download BBM 7 without going through the app world please.
Guru I
Xandrex

LucaDugaro,
yes, it is explained in message 24.

Contributor
LucaDugaro

Isn't that the link for bbm 6.2? Sorry if I don't understand very well.
Guru I
Xandrex

indeed it is the link for bbm6.2.
You cannot install BBM7 without the AppWorld.

Trusted Contributor
DrFever
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900

Try,

http://www.blackberry.com/bbm using your mobile browser.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,983
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Xandrex wrote:
indeed it is the link for bbm6.2.
You cannot install BBM7 without the AppWorld.

It is possible using the BlackBerry browser to go to www.blackberry.com/bbm

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code