Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
LesJ
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: vodafone
Accepted Solution

Blackberry ID nightmare

Hi

Really hope you can help out here, after registering my wives backberry ID a few months back the phone had to be returned due to a technical fault. 

She now has a new phone, however, on setting it up again I/she needs her backberry id password which we have forgotten, not only that we have forgottent the answer to the security question.

Having checked all the online helps and the previous forum messages it seems its a circular process you either need one or the other?

Is there anyway to get a password reset email as I don't have the password or the security question answer. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry ID nightmare

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Start first with these please:

• KB28685 How to reset the BlackBerry ID password using the password recovery question
  • KB32111 "The link is no longer valid." is encountered when attempting to reset a BlackBerry ID password
  • KB26361 How to change or reset the BlackBerry ID password
  • KB28111 Unable to reset BlackBerry ID password when using a BlackBerry hosted email address
  • KB28232 BlackBerry ID reset email is not being delivered to the associated mailbox

If you have forgotten your BB ID credentials AND have non-BB access (e.g., Outlook, webmail, etc.) to the email account that is currently configured to your BB ID account, then those instructions should allow you to recover access to your BB ID account.

However, if you do not have access to that email account, then your challenge is much greater, and you have a choice to make depending on your circumstances:

1. If you have no AppWorld records that you require to retain (e.g., purchase records for apps), then simply abandon the BB ID and create a new one. To do so, however, does require a device WIPE:
    • KB26694 How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone
  2. But, if you do have AppWorld records that you must keep, then you require human intervention. To receive that, you must ring up your mobile service provider and convince them to escalate your case up to BlackBerry. Further, you must convince BlackBerry to provide you with a solution -- which likely will either be resetting your current BB ID so that you can again access it or having you create a new BBID and they will manually move your purchase records over. Note that I have no idea if they will be willing to do this, but there is no other way that I know of to retain your prior AppWorld purchase records.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LesJ

Hi

Quick question before I perform a wipe - given that this is a new handset and BB ID has not been set up on it - will performing a wipe actually work?

I am assuming that what I need to do is to delete of reset the BB ID account so I can then set up my email on my  replacement handset.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

LesJ wrote:

Quick question before I perform a wipe - given that this is a new handset and BB ID has not been set up on it - will performing a wipe actually work?

Well, that's a bit tricky -- due to your wording. A Wipe certainly will "work", but it just may or many not do anything for your situation. If the BB has never been associated with a BB ID, then performing a WIPE will "work" (e.g., the device will WIPE clean), but it just won't be relevant to your situation. All you need to is, on the BB, create a new BB ID (I'm assuming that's your intent...you did not say any results from what I provided above, so I must guess...).

LesJ wrote:

I am assuming that what I need to do is to delete of reset the BB ID account so I can then set up my email on my  replacement handset.

I don't understand your suggestion here..."delete of reset"?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LesJ

Ok Perhaps I need to explain myself better.

1. Got a new phone: Did an initial set up and registered for a blackberry ID with a username of username@btinternet.com so I could set up email on the phone.

2. Phone had a hardware fault so before the BB ID was fully confirmed the phone was sent back - they could not repair it so sent us a replacement handset.

3. The wife deleted all the emails from Blackberry

4. On trying to set up the new phone device email service, it asked for the BB ID of which I had the username@btinternet.com but not the password or the security question answer.

5. BB ID account now locked as I''ve used up all the usual passwords that I thought it might be.

So my thinking is that Blackberry must have a database online with accounts - so my question is

A). Can I create a new BB ID using a different email address from the original to allow me to set up recieving emails on the handset from the username@btinternet.com account?

B). If yes, can I then associate the original email address with the new BB ID account so that emails from blackberry go to that account?

C). If not, is there a way of getting rid of the original BB ID account and starting from scratch?

Hope this makes sense?

Many thanks for your help  

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Thank you for those details...though I suspect steps 2 and 3 are reversed...I suspect your wife deleted all of the emails before the BB was returned and replaced?

In any event...

LesJ wrote:

A). Can I create a new BB ID using a different email address from the original to allow me to set up recieving emails on the handset from the username@btinternet.com account?

You can create a new BB ID, as long as you don't attempt to use the same email address/username that exists for the BB ID that you cannot remember the credentials for. The email address/username is the unique identifier to the account, and hence cannot be duplicated in the BB ID system.

• KB24062 How to create a BlackBerry ID

The email accounts you wish to integrate to your BB (for "doing email" on the BB) are technically irrelevant to the BB ID itself. Most all internet-accessible email accounts can have multiple clients interfacing to them...Outlook, BBs, other devices, etc. can all be configured to work with the same email account, as long as the server imposes no restrictions on multiple-client access to the email account. I've no idea what btinternet does in that regard.

The BBID will contain the credentials for the email accounts that are integrated to the BB, so as to facilitate easier transition to new devices. So, there can only be one BB ID with an associated email address (since that is the unique username of the BB ID account), but multiple BB ID's can contain the credentials for the same email account for use on the BB (again, as long as multiple-client access is not restricted by the email provider).

LesJ wrote:

B). If yes, can I then associate the original email address with the new BB ID account so that emails from blackberry go to that account?

Yes -- As long as the email account allows multiple client access, then there will be no problem. But, again, I've no idea what your email provider does in that regard.

LesJ wrote:

C). If not, is there a way of getting rid of the original BB ID account and starting from scratch?

The original email received, when the BB ID was created, should have included a link to destroy the BB ID account. That is the only way (other than the human intervention method I discussed way above) to accomplish that feat.

Note please again that I don't know anything about your email provider. If, for example, this email domain you have discussed is a hosted email account (e.g., @bb, @carrier, etc.), then you therefore only have access to that email account via the device...most of the hosted accounts do not allow non-device access to their email accounts. Consequently, that complicates things. Hosted email accounts should not be used as the credentials for any BB Services, as things get difficult (refer back to the earlier reply, with links discussing this situation). But, again, I've no idea if your btinternet account is a hosted (by your carrier) account or some email account freely available via other interface means (e.g., Outlook, webmail, etc.).

Hope that helps!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.