Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
maynard
My Device: Not Specified

Can't download Blackberry App World to my laptop.....

Hi...Just bought a Storm and I can not download the App World to my laptop...I keep getting a "Notice" that says....

"This web page uses ActiveX controls that work only in Microsoft Internet Explorer. To ensure that BlackBerry App World is correctly downloaded to your BlackBerry, this site is not designed to work with any other Internet browsers. If you cannot use Internet Explorer, you may be able to download the software directly to your BlackBerry smartphone."

I am using Vista and I am using Internet Explorer 8.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

And I have downloded the App World to my Storm already, I want it on my computer also.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Can't download Blackberry App World to my laptop.....

HI and Welcome to the Forums!

Strictly speaking, AppWorld only installs to the device...not to the PC. I'm not sure which button on the AppWorld site you are clicking, but if it is, on this page:

the button labeled "Download" under "Desktop Computer", all that will do anyway is install AppWorld to your BB, just via the USB tether. But, since you already installed to your BB, this would be redundant.

From the PC, the only available thing for AppWorld is to browse the catalog:

But that is not tailored to your specific BB model; it simply shows the entire AppWorld catalog, regardless of device model...only the interface on the BB is designed to show you apps that are marked as compatible with your BB.

Hope that helps clarify how it works!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
dobe86

I bought a BB 8900 last week and tried to install app world on my laptop as well.  Windows XP up to date with IE8.  Same notice as the orginal user. I have IE, give me App World. 
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

dobe86 wrote:
I bought a BB 8900 last week and tried to install app world on my laptop as well.  Windows XP up to date with IE8.  Same notice as the orginal user. I have IE, give me App World. 

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Did you read the response to the OP above? AppWorld does not install to the PC...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stephen293

[ Edited ]

Actually this is not necessarily trueBlackberry has a website whereby you can download apps using ActiveX that is incorporated into Internet ExplorerThis allows you to simply install files via the USB straight from the websiteHowever I am also having the same issue a the thread starter..In my case I am trying to install Blackberry MapsI am a FF user but opend up my IE8 just to run this website: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/blackberry_maps.jsp  

Once I click the download link it gives me the same error message essentially saying that I need to use IE when I amApparently other people are having this problem:

BlackBerry App World Not Working With Internet Explorer 8 

I don't know what the issue is but BB needs to update this since Windows 7 (Oct 22will come with IE8 by default

The other problem is that I can't find Blackberry Maps on the Blackberry Apps via the program on my phone.

Proof (It's not on the web cataloghttp://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/ )

Can anyone let me know where I can get Blackberry Maps from another placeI want to use the extra GPS and "email/SMS my location" that the BB google maps doesn't offer. Thanks

Stephen

Message Edited by stephen293 on 09-28-2009 12:57 AM
Message Edited by stephen293 on 09-28-2009 12:58 AM
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello,

this is off-topic as regards to the current discussion, but BlackBerry Maps can be installed using ActiveX to the blackBerry device only for very old devices -with an OS prior or equal to 4.1). Meaning trackwheel devices only.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stephen293

Xandrex,

From what I have searched, Blackberry Maps can ONLY be installed via ActiveX from the BB website.  If you go click on the apps link, then download, you will notice that the only option it gives you is activeX (in my case "incorrect browser notice") Like I said in my case I used Internet Explorer like the notice said and STILL get the incorrect browser error message.  This is shared by other people from my search of the internet (this pertains only to Internet Explorer 8 [most recent]).  Blackberry needs to correct this or offer online dl version..or add it into BB Appsworld because Windows 7 will only come with IE8.  

So my bottom line is if ActiveX method is only for older devices why is it the only method of dl for BB Maps?  If you look at supported devices my phone (Bold 9000) is clearly listed.  If ANYBODY can find an alternate method PLEASE let me know.  All searches (including appsworld via my BB) has led to nothing.  

Stephen

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

the normal procedure is to install a new OS on your device (using Desktop Manager) and make sure that BlackBerry Messenger is checked in the applications list.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stephen293

[ Edited ]
I already have the most recent OS from BB using Desktop Manager.  I already have BB Messenger. That has nothing to do with BB Maps.
Message Edited by stephen293 on 09-30-2009 11:01 AM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stephen293

[ Edited ]

Nevermind, found out that ATT has forced the BB Maps to be hidden.  Nonetheless it DOES NOT change the fact that any ActiveX support needs to be updated to support IE8.  BB Messenger is a good example of also one of those apps that needs ActiveX support. My point being is that if it is offered by BB, and it requires a particular program to run, it needs to support the most current revision of that program.

Hopefully this helps anybody else trying to get BB Maps.  First ATT will have it forced to be unchecked while installing the OS and then it will hide the app permanently via your phone's service package.  You will see it under advance options but it will not show up in your home screen.  This is so that they can force you to use their own pay-only ATT app.

Message Edited by stephen293 on 09-30-2009 11:17 AM
Please use plain text.