Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
Octagon
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can't get appWorld to load on my phone(!?)

Blackberry Pearl Flip 8220.

v4.6.0.180 (Platform 4.1.0.61)

T-Mobile

When I try to load appWorld onto my phone, it refuses, giving an error message.  I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something vague, along the lines of "your phone doesn't meet the specs".  As best I can tell from looking at the specs it does, unless the "Device software version 4.2 or higher" refers to the Platform (4.1.0.61 for me) and not the version (4.6.0.180 for me).  Can I get appWorld onto my phone, and if so, how?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Octagon

Re: Can't get appWorld to load on my phone(!?)

Oops, forgot to note BIS or BES.  I don't know (new phone, first Blackberry!).  But I'm not using it at work or connecting it to any kind of server that I know of...
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Based on your info, you should be able to download the App World.  You're in the US, correct?  From the sounds of it, your device uses a BIS account. 

Just to ensure, you do have a BlackBerry data plan with your phone, correct?  And where are you trying to download App World from?

As for software version, you do have the 4.6 OS, so this isn't what's holding you back.

Anyhow, please confirm the above and provide an answer for the final question.  I'll see if I'm able to figure anything out.

And if you can, try the following.

• go to your BlackBerry Browser, press the BB Menu button and select Options.  Go into the Cache operations and clear the history on your phone.
  • then go to mobile.blackberry.com on your phone.  The download link should be the second link in the list (as of May 30, 2009).  Attempt to install using this link.

Keep me posted!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Octagon

Thanks, Krypto, for your answer.

Yes, I am in the USA.

I don't think I have a BlackBerry data plan.  That is, I can't get web access over the cell phone towers.  The plan I have allows me to use the phone over wi-fi.  When used in that mode, all my minutes are free and the browser works.  When used with the cell phone towers, I'm charged for minutes and the browser doesn't work.  I haven't tried using it for e-mail, but I don't think that would work, either.

I tried to download App World by plugging my phone into the computer, going to the website http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=aw_desktop, and using the download button.  I get two warning pop-ups saying that the browser is trying to access the phone, then in the browser window I get a warning message: "axError.gif  Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry App World."

You suggested I try going directly from the phone, so I cleared my cache, then went to mobile.blackberry.com on my phone.  I didn't see any download links.  Instead, I got a page that started out "This Blackberry Help website is designed for use with the Blackberry Browser.  Learn more...".  Below that were two screenshots overlaid, and below that it said "For more information about Blackberry visit www.blackberry.com".

I also tried going through the phone to www.blackberry.com/appworld/download.  This page did have a download button.  When I clicked on it, I got the following message:  "Notice  Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry App World."

Perhaps App World will not run, even part-time over Wi-Fi, if I don't have the extra plan?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hmmm...interesting concept. It seems logical that AppWorld would be accessible via WiFi, but the minimum requirements do state that a data plan is required. So it would seem, from the documented requirements, that you indeed do not meet that minimum. I do agree that is a pity... However, for all we know, the actual AppWorld servers are somehow backended and only visible via data plan paths and not via raw internet...I'm not sure there's a way to really know...

Perhaps there is another component of the minimum requirements that is not met?

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/download.jsp#tab_tab_system_requirements

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Octagon

Thanks sdgardne, for your help.

When I read the requirement, it said, "To use BlackBerry App World, you require a service plan that includes access to the BlackBerry® Browser."  I just got the phone, so I haven't used it much, but I've been able to get to other sites like CNN and The Weather Channel using the Browser, so I thought that meant my phone/plan had that access, at least through WiFi.  But perhaps the requirements are misworded, and I need a higher grade plan than I have, or whoever wrote them didn't know or forgot about the possibility of WiFi access.  I'm pretty sure I meet the other 3 criteria in the link you cited.  I'm in the US.  My software version is 4.6.  And my Pearl Flip 8220 has a trackball.

And yes, it's a bummer.  Some of the apps looked useful!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

sdgardne is correct, you must have a BlackBerry data plan in order to use the App World.  I believe this might have been a deal that was set up between RIM and the carriers to ensure that the carriers didn't lose out entirely on App World.  Like this, they are still guaranteed data fees.

Unfortunately, there is no way around this.

Note that Wifi is not considered a data plan as the data is not being transmitted over the cellular network.  I know this may be confusing, but when you understand the correct definitions for things, you'll see that this is indeed correct.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Octagon

Well, I guess the issue is resolved, though the outcome is disappointing.

Thank you Krypto and sgardne for sorting this out.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are very welcome!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Indeed, sorry the response isn't more positive.

As a heads up, if you prefer not to get a data plan, you can still download most apps using other sources.

Please use plain text.