Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-04-2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World

I was lucky enough to get Shazam while it was available in the App World on the first day. I have 2 guesses on why it may have been removed. One, it was released and RIM removed it because it was not fully compatible with the Storm because you have to disable compatibility mode for it to somewhat work. My second idea is it may have violated the App World Terms of Service, because you couldnt buy it from App World, you have to buy it later on. It was listed as a free app, but really it is just a demo.

 

Then again, I could be completely wrong, but those are the only ideas I have. 

Guru I
Posts: 18,948
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World

I already replied on another shazam discussion previously but I'll do it again :
from the App World, Shazam is a free application. You can install it for free without relying on PayPal.

Then, if you want to use Shazam, you can either use it for free for 60 days, or buy it (it's a one-time payment of 5USD or 5GBP). Buying the application is made outside the AppWorld, directly with shazam.com website, under their payment conditions.



The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
My Device: iPhone 3G

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World

Shazam OTA download:

 

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/shazam-ota-link-available-here-199226/

Oh. I can't SSH into Blackberry devices? CYA!!!!
Retired
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎03-25-2009
My Device: 8310

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World

Hello,

 

The 'Shazam' program is available from AppWorld.  You can try to open AppWorld application and search for it.  I just downloaded this morning through the 'Search' option to test.

 

BerrySmart! 

Guru I
Posts: 18,948
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World


Ateo wrote:

Shazam OTA download:

 

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/shazam-ota-link-available-here-199226/


of course, it is advised not to use the files on the provided links unless you trust the owner of the files : wackberry.com which has nothing to do with the Shazam company.


BerrySmart : yes what you say is true for people who can use AppWorld (= US, Canada, UK only) and who do not own a Storm (since Shazam for Storm is not available yet).



The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Retired
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎03-25-2009
My Device: 8310

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World

Thank you for the confirmation Xandrex !
New Developer
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
My Device: iPhone 3G

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World

[ Edited ]

Xandrex wrote:

Ateo wrote:

Shazam OTA download:

 

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/shazam-ota-link-available-here-199226/


of course, it is advised not to use the files on the provided links unless you trust the owner of the files : wackberry.com which has nothing to do with the Shazam company.

So, put Shazam in App World for Storm users. Most of us are OK that compat mode must be enabled... I am..

 

If shazam is in app world for non-storm phones, why are storm users left out? Again, shazam works just fine in compat mode... let us decide if we like it or not? My point being then we don't have to go out and risk anything by downloading files from "untrusted" sites.

Message Edited by Ateo on 04-29-2009 09:20 AM
Oh. I can't SSH into Blackberry devices? CYA!!!!
Guru I
Posts: 18,948
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World


Ateo wrote:

Xandrex wrote:

Ateo wrote:

Shazam OTA download:

 

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/shazam-ota-link-available-here-199226/


of course, it is advised not to use the files on the provided links unless you trust the owner of the files : wackberry.com which has nothing to do with the Shazam company.

So, put Shazam in App World for Storm users. Most of us are OK that compat mode must be enabled... I am..

 

If shazam is in app world for non-storm phones, why are storm users left out? Again, shazam works just fine in compat mode... let us decide if we like it or not? My point being then we don't have to go out and risk anything by downloading files from "untrusted" sites.


Hello, I perfectly understand your point as a consumer, but :
  • it is not RIM's decision, but Shazam's. RIM did not put a veto on the "Shazam for 4.6".
  • From Shazam's point of view, I think it's better to wait for a month or two before the Storm version is really really okay. It's been two years that Shazam has been available for iPhone, it can wait some more weeks. It's better than publishing a buggy version, and here it's not you to decide if you like it or not, but Shazam.



The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
My Device: iPhone 3G

Re: Cannot find Shazam on App World


Xandrex wrote:

Hello, I perfectly understand your point as a consumer, but :
  • it is not RIM's decision, but Shazam's. RIM did not put a veto on the "Shazam for 4.6".
  • From Shazam's point of view, I think it's better to wait for a month or two before the Storm version is really really okay. It's been two years that Shazam has been available for iPhone, it can wait some more weeks. It's better than publishing a buggy version, and here it's not you to decide if you like it or not, but Shazam.

Of course it's not my decision. Never implied it was.

 

However, maybe I can throw this idea out.

 

Perhaps "List All" applications to all devices. When user clicks application, download button will appear according to device version. If it's not compatible for X version, a simple "not-compatible with your device" notice would be great. This way we're not left in the dark as to why bold users have this or storm users have that. But that's probably not up to RIM but up to the app developer (correct me if I'm wrong)..

 

Anyways, this is just food for thought. I know app world is new, so please don't take this as a complaint or anything... I like app world.

Oh. I can't SSH into Blackberry devices? CYA!!!!