Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Developer
iliumsoftware
My Device: Not Specified

Cannot install App World on unlocked Vodafone Storm 9500

I am one of the support associates and software testers for a software company (Ilium Software), and we recently purchased a Storm from Expansys. It is a Vodafone unit, and it's unlocked.

I have tried installing the app store on it, but have had no luck.

I tried using the desktop install method, which required me to find a computer with IE7 on it. I receive the error, "Sorry, your device does not meet the minimum requirements that are needed to support the Blackberry App World."

Then, I plugged my AT&T SIM into the device and tried to do an OTA install. I had to install the AT&T service books on the Blackberry, which was an annoying process as I cannot register the Blackberry on AT&T for some reason. My personal AT&T account has an iPhone unlimited data plan, but not a Blackberry plan.

After installing the service books, I can browse the internet on the device to any website _except_ http://www.blackberry.com/appworld/download . When I try that URL, I get the message that I have insufficient network coverage. The Storm indicates that it's on EDGE, and I can visit other websites or use other internet-connected software.

I have several Blackberry simulators set up on my testing computers, and have not been able to load the App World there either. I can install it on the Bold (9000) simulator using the 'WIFI' network that patches the simulator directly into my computer's network connection, but the App World will always just sit saying 'loading..' when I open it up.

Is the App World designed to only work on Blackberries that are registered with a wireless carrier and have a proper Blackberry data plan? If so, how am I supposed to see what our application listing looks like in the App World if I cannot install it on a simulator or an unlocked testing device?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Cannot install App World on unlocked Vodafone Storm 9500

iliumsoftware wrote:

Is the App World designed to only work on Blackberries that are registered with a wireless carrier and have a proper Blackberry data plan? If so, how am I supposed to see what our application listing looks like in the App World if I cannot install it on a simulator or an unlocked testing device?

Yes. That is your issue.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tarabulsi
My Device: Not Specified

Actually that is not the issue. I use to have App World running on my unlocked Storm 9550, since the last update I lost the icon and could not download it. I have a running BB service and everything is working fine for the except of this. It might be an issue with App World latest update, i am currently searching for the previous version to reinstall.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

@tarabulsi : your issue is completely different from the person who initiated this discussion !

please open a new discussion that will be specific to your issue, or search a bit on the forum for answers to that same question.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Developer
n8r0n
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: AT&T

This just worked for me, on a BlackBerry 9550 simulator (the one that comes with JDE 5.0).  I started the browser, and navigated to:

http://www.blackberry.com/appworld/download

And it worked, despite the fact that the simulator is not a real, registered BlackBerry.  So, maybe they changed it ....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ekin89
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500
My Carrier: Maxis

[ Edited ]

I have Blackberry Storm 9500 ... I have install the new app world and need to update my blackberry identity but it always say "blackberry identity installation failed. please try again later (80003)" .. one of the forum say it can be update using wifi but my bb doesn't have wifi ... so i need to reinstall the old version? or any way for me to use my app world back?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced > Applications.

Scroll to AppWorld and delete it.

Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Now, after rebooted, go to www.blackberry.com/appworld and download it again and see if it all works out ok.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ekin89
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500
My Carrier: Maxis

I've tried it & it's still appear the same problem .... any link to me for install the old version blackberry app world?

Please use plain text.