Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
WinsomeS
My Device: Curve 8520
Accepted Solution

Conned by an App

Hi. I browsed the apps in appworld and chose to download one based on the several positive reviews it had. It did have negative reviews as well but I could not tell if the problems those users had were as a result of the programme or their providers, etc. So I took a chance.

I received, quite expeditiously, a confirmation email stating I was billed for the app and then I watched the programme begin to download. It never completed. Furthermore, when I look at my applications list, it's not there. I went back to app world to try to download it again and the app now tells me that it is "Uninstalled". How can something that never downloaded be 'uninstalled'? Or is it uninstalled from appworld??  There is no option to re-download it now. It's as if the programme is untouchable.

I am very disappointed and I would like some answers. Is this the fault of the developer? Is it the fault of app world? Is it my equipment? If there was a problem with downloading why can't I try downloading again? If there is a fix, I would prefer that.

OR is this a scam?

The records show I paid but I have no product.

What is my recourse? Who checks to ensure that apps are legitimate? How do I prevent this kind of disappointment with an app world product again?

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Conned by an App

Go to your AppWorld > My World.

Click to the Uninstalled list where it is listed.

Click on the app in question.

At the top of the screen, do you see a bar with a ^ arrow pointing up? Click on that. Do you see the re-install or download button now?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
WinsomeS

There is no option to reinstall this app, not even if I end up at the app summary screen and open the menu by pressing the BlackBerry button.
JSanders

But, do you see the up arrow I asked about?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
WinsomeS

The up arrow is there on a bar that also says (if you scroll left or right) screenshots and reviews. That arrow only shows if I click on the name of the application (right where it says "Uninstalled") and then the product summary comes up.

I've tried your suggestion with other apps I actually uninstalled and I see options to reinstall for them. NOT for this one. :-(
JSanders

Have you tried uninstalling AppWorld, rebooting and re-installing AppWorld?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
WinsomeS

No, not since this situation. I did receive a notification from app world that app world was to be upgraded and silly me went through the upgrade process only to end up with an older version of the programme (which I only realized when the installer advised me that a version 4.0 was already installed, do I want to install version 3.xx). I chose to follow through with the installation so that there would be an app world on my phone rather than have it installed but not functioning. There have been no notifications since to upgrade app world and this was about 2 weeks ago, if so long.

Meanwhile, do I need to remove/ re-add app world? If yes, how do I get the actual latest version or does it not really matter which version I use?
JSanders

Delete AppWorld from Options > Advanced > Application.

Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Using your BlackBerry browser, go to www.blackberry.com/appworld and download/install again.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
WinsomeS

Before I go through this tedious process, what exactly are we trying to achieve? And can you tell me why I was told there was an upgrade for app world and it ended up being an older version?

JSanders

What tedious process? It should take you all of three minutes. I thought we were tring to achieve a reinstall of this app you purchased, right?

I don't know why your AppWorld downgraded. I don't know what you did.

Knowledge Base Updates