Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
PolarBear_
My Device: Curve 8330

Curve

Dear Rim,

I am not happy. Now, I know that is not nearly as important to you as when one of those big corporate customers of yours isn't happy, but it's pretty important to me.

I have a Curve 8330 which is barely 4 months old. My carrier is Virgin Mobile Canada. I have OS 4.5.0.77.

According to all of your available information, I should be well within the requirements to use the "App World" . Howeve, your site tells me otherwise.

Worse than just not being able to access it, an application which I use regularly no longer works because when I had the issues with installing App World, I thought: "I know! It might just be a glitch. I will just start clean and reinstall some of these applications later, AFTER I have app world up and running." Problem is, AFTER in uninstalling it, I discovered I could not longer get it back UNLESS I HAD APP WORLD!

As far as I can tell there is no reason I should not have access to app world. Unless Virgin Mobile Canada is blocking access somehow, I just can't get it. I have cleared off my BB, pulled the battery many times, cleared the memory and done everything I can think of to make it work, but it won't install - it keeps insisting I don't meant the system requirements - which I most definitely DO.

The worst part of this is that all this was "solved" the other day with a new upgrade of the App World... and everyone seems to just be going on as though it is all fixed up. It isn't. I can't use it. I see others here also can't use it. I have searched for people complaining they can't use it, and I can't find any that say they are on Virgin Canada so far. So, I'm stumped.

If there was going to be ANY issue of BB users not being able to access App World, why exactly were applications moved INTO App World so they could not be accessed anywhere else? This seems utterly ridiculous to me. It is infuriating.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like I should take this personally. Was it something I did? Something I said? Do you disagree with the assessment that PolarBears are 'endangered' and wish to make an example of me? Was it because when I tried all to get the store to work the first time I called it an EPIC FAIL on twitter?

I'd really like to have access to the apps that other BlackBerry users have access to. I actually really LIKE my BB. I think everyone should have one. But, things like this, well, they are really hard on a relationship, yanno...

Please, whatever is wrong, help me fix it. Or fix it for me. I don't know why it is doing this, but I'm out of ideas. Is there an update I need to install? A palm I need to grease?

Please help. Thanks in advance...

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Curve

Hey PolarBear_, have you tried contacting Virgin Mobile yet?  If not, contact them and see what they have to say.  If they say it should work, come back and let us know and we can try doing some troubleshooting.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
TheTech
My Device: BlackBerry Storm2 9550

Hello,

I certainly understand your frustration. Can you explain to me any specific error messages that you might be seeing just so I can better understand the exact issue that might be happening here? Thank you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PolarBear_

[ Edited ]

The specific error message I get is the one that says I do not meet the system requirements when I go to install. It is the same error others reported getting before the App World update supposedly solved it.

It says, verbatim (and I just tried to install again so I could quote):

Notice

Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry App World.

I searched to see if other people on Virgin (Canada) were having issues, and found none.  I searched to see if other Curve 83xx series users were having issues and found a few, all on different carriers. A friend with the 8320 had no problem installing BAW with Rogers as a carrier. I have not called Virgin directly yet because it didn't seem like a Virgin issue, but if that is a possibility I suppose I will have to contact them. I've been just assuming it was a glitch that would get sorted out since I have been at this off and on since Friday. I always assume new rollouts have bugs and try to be patient but this one is getting to me...

Thanks...

P.S. I should also mention I have tried to install it using the web browser method on my PC. On this computer, it crashes IE! On my other computer, I get the same "don't meet the system requirements" message.

Message Edited by PolarBear_ on 04-06-2009 01:50 PM
Please use plain text.
TheTech
My Device: BlackBerry Storm2 9550

Hi,

Can you verify which version of the App World client you have installed by performing the following:

1. From the homescreen click on Options > Advanced Options > Applications.

Verify the version of the application.

Please use plain text.
CerealBypass
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

[ Edited ]

It looks like Virgin Mobile users were unable to access App World for a moment. Can I have you please clear your browser cache, perform a hard reset just as you did before (by pulling the battery) and try to download App World again?

If that doesn't work, you can PM me with your PIN and I'll be happy to look into it a little further.

Message Edited by CerealBypass on 04-06-2009 05:33 PM
PolarBear_

Well, it was more than a moment that I could not access the App Store, I'd been trying since Friday... and I had done all that stuff with the clearing of caches.

However, I don't know what you did, or if it was someone else that did something, but thank you! App World installed and is working just fine now. I just decided to give it another shot this evening and it worked, I didn't even have to clear my cache again or anything.

I really appreciate it, thank you so very much.

Please use plain text.