Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Visitor
Crooker
My Device: Not Specified

Developers... Smarten up! Make Demos (or Trial versions)

First off, I love the new App store...  But I really wish developers would get smart and realize that there are many people like me who will not pay money for software based on reviews alone, because everyone's point of view is different, and what is good for one person, doesn't work for another.  We want to TRY the software before we buy it.  I was amazed at how many games on BB-App world there are without trial versions.

Fortunately, I'm not a huge BB gamer (I'll use my PS3 for that.)  At least there are more apps with trial versions.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Developers... Smarten up! Make Demos (or Trial versions)

Crooker - I am inclined to agree, and I usually stay out of these things.  Even a one day trial would help users to determine if the app is right for them, and in the long run, it would likely lead to increased sales, especially if your app is a good one!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
bba
My Device: Not Specified

Crooker, I followed your suggestion:

My newest Application in the AppWorld has a free trial. It is called Whippoh and simulates a whip - using the accelerometer of your Storm. Search for it ;-)

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Ateo
My Device: iPhone 3G

I agree! Provide a trial version for non-free apps. Why would I want to spend $20 on an app if I can't try it first (all knowing it's a pain to get refunds)?
Oh. I can't SSH into Blackberry devices? CYA!!!!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

I'll give an example of one application : Shazam.
it is available on the App World for all BlackBerry devices with a trackball (= no Storm).

the application on the App World is a free trial : you can download it for free. Then you can use it for free until the end of the trial (it's end of may if I recall correctly) and then you have to pay Shazam to use the application (pay Shazam directly, thus not going through App World for that).
My guess is that many users will call RIM thieves for allowing people to download an application for free and then the application charges the user later.

---> il will work, but many people will not read what's written and believe that the application is free.

that being said, I nevertheless think that trials are good for the consumers. That's true for computer applications, that's true for smartphone applications.
I think it would be wiser if, on the page of the application in App World, the software vendor puts a link "click here to download free trial", which will bring the user to the webpage (using the Browser). That way, the non-paying things later is out of App World. The day the user decides to buy the application, he/she can simply go to the App World and download the paid application.

There is one more advantage : that prevents the "My World" to be filled with demos & trials.
Besides, there is no real drawback, it's just a very small work for the software vendor : they just have to publish 2 files on their webserver !

so my conclusion is :
- yes, we want trials & demos
- no, trials & demos should not be downloaded directly from App World.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.