Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World

guyguy0131
My Device: BB10

Google Maps

Why Why Why can't BB have Google Maps. I see on Google's site that the Google Maps is available on Andriod and iOS, but can't it be on BB also? Can't BB make a deal with Google to use Google Maps. Google Maps is so useful and accurate. I use it many times. Not having this app available for BB makes me not want to get the new BB10. Otherwise i would love to get the BB10.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Google Maps

Google has released APIs, so that anyone can make an app that uses the Google Maps data.

The best proof is that there are currently several Google Maps apps available for the BlackBerry PlayBook.

So the answer to your question is quite simple:
because nobody bothered making such an app for the Z10.

Given the history between Google Inc. and the other ones (Microsoft, Apple, BlackBerry), it is very likely that you will have less and less Google Products on non-Android platforms.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

that being said, Google Maps has the "My Maps" feature and the Google Street Image feature, but apart from that I prefer BlackBerry Maps for the speed and accuracy.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
B-Eazy
My Device: Z10

Well you can always also write to Google why don't they make a BlackBerry 10 map app. This is not within BlackBerry's control but the developper themselves! And honestly the maps app available in BlackBerry world that uses the Google api's are not great nd don't run very smooth and does not give a compelling experience. On the other hand I have used the new Map app from BlackBerry that comes with the phone and I have to say that it ain't Google maps but it is a very good map app! It's accurate and fast once the app is open! It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Google maps has but it's still a great map app compared to others thatched I've seen honestly! And I'm normally a very critical person but this one, I'll give it to BlackBerry for the great job they did with their map app!