Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Developer
maribou
My Device: Torch 9810

How to browse App World from a PC?

Is there any way to browse the App World store from a PC?  I don't have a Blackberry device at the moment, but I would like to know what apps are available.
New Contributor
ryzilla23
My Device: Storm 9530

Re: How to browse App World from a PC?

I believe you can currently only browse the featured apps listed on the app world page, other than that it is from device only for now.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't know that there actually is, since a device is required for the download.

I see a few Featured Apps listed here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/featured.jsp

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
sfwire
My Device: Not Specified

If there really is no way to browse the apps from a PC, this is really annoying. 

I'm sitting at my desk in front of a 21 inch monitor, but I'm forced to scroll through the apps on a 3 inch screen to see what is available.  No, thanks.

JSanders

sfwire wrote:

If there really is no way to browse the apps from a PC, this is really annoying. 

I'm sitting at my desk in front of a 21 inch monitor, but I'm forced to scroll through the apps on a 3 inch screen to see what is available.  No, thanks.

Well, I thought you didn't have a BB? What 3" are you looking at?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
sfwire

Curve 8900.  OK, it's a 2.44 inch screen.  What's your point?
New Contributor
Claudia

I agree with sfwire. Besides the fact that it would be much easier to browse apps in a PC monitor, instead of the bb screen, I don't want to download software to my bb before I know if there are any apps I will want to download! RIM should make the App world surfable from PC's.
New Contributor
Applico

I agree as well. Biggest factor for me is how much faster I can do things on my comp when it comes to browsing, researching apps, etc.

Hopefully Blackberry makes this a priority.

~~~
Applico LLC
mobile application development
www.applicollc.com

NYC Transit- get your train, bus, ferry schedules. No network connection required!
Contributor
imwjl
My Device: Storm

I see it requires Active-X and I have to use multiple operating systems so browsing the site is as much or more a disappointment as is the my initial impression with the Storms I've worked with (and own) and RIM. I am not anti-Microsoft (even own the stock) but sure have to question RIM at this point. It's not like people haven't heard of a company called Apple who makes sure their stuff works and works well if you don't have an Apple computer.

Even if this product is really designed to be be browsed via the phone it is lame in terms of content where apps that look interesting have too little information to make me want to part with more than a few $. Fingers crossed for some improvements to both App World and the Storm OS before it's too late to return my own Storm!

JSanders

imwjl wrote:

It's not like people haven't heard of a company called Apple who makes sure their stuff works and works well if you don't have an Apple computer.

Wow, people love to throw the iPhone threat around. I guess I've read that threat so many times in the past ~18 months i've become almost immune to hearing. 

And for BlackBerry applications, I really can't think of one I need that isn't out there yet (maybe not yet on the AppWorld, though). But its only been up 36 hours or so.

And quite honestly, you know what, if the AppWorld were viewable on the PC, this forum and the others would have hundreds of post/threads from users saying they can view the apps on their PC but not download them to the PC. "How lame, heeerrrreee I come iPhone, just you wait!!" 

And of course, if we could download the apps to the PC... "I downloaded mah app to my PC. Wadda I dose now?"

Whichever direction, there will be complaints and relative issues.

Knowledge Base Updates