Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

JSanders
Solutions: 5,748
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Am I going to lose all my apps?

You can't effectively filter spam email messages using the firewall...

You can better manage spam using filters on your email server.

Good luck... if you have more questions, please post them

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
GRMA
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply. From August of last year until last week, I effectively filtered 5105 email messages 287 text messages using the firewall on my BlackBerry.

In fact, when I review my firewall settings now, it still displays the number of blocked email and blocked text messages during that period of time. Why did it work prior to wiping my BlackBerry?

Current settings are as follows:

• Within the Firewall option, Enable is checked.
  • Under Block Incoming Messages, Text messages is check and Personal Email is checked.
  • Under Exceptions, Contacts is checked. (With this setting checked, I should only be receiving messages from approved email address that are in my Contact list.)

I am not running on a BES network. I am running BIS, which I believe is via my service provider. Do I need to contact my service provider?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,748
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Great! That works for you... I just don't think it is "effective" (mainly for me).

For instance, I do receive many emails from clients (new clients) who may not be in my Address Book.

I want to receive those and not have them blocked.

Using the email spam filter from my email provider (in my case GoDaddy or Gmail), I can train it to know which is spam and which is not. GoDaddy rarely gets them wrong and yes I have to delete a few spam messages each day, but it grabs most spam before ever reaching me. Same for Gmail.

And, I can review those spam messages once a month or so and tell it what might not be spam, so that it will allow those senders in the future. You can't do that with the Firewall.

What if that long lost friend from 30 years ago emailed you and his email address is not in your address book?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
GRMA

[ Edited ]

Good point. My long lost friends can find me on Facebook, and they usually do:smileywink:

Also, I am not in sales so it's a not an issue for me. I can see why using that feature might not work for you.

I am just trying to figure out why the firewall on my BlackBerry worked before and not now. When backing up, I manually selected files and I am wondering if I missed a required file for the Firewall.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GRMA

Using the configured settings I described above, I was able to resolve the firewall issue. I am no longer receiving unwanted text messages and email. I still get my email in Outlook, but that's what I want.

Please use plain text.