Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
ismailzali
My Device: Not Specified

Is App World accessible with a Wi-Fi connection?

I am considering buying an unlocked Curve 8900, mostly because I like its Wi-Fi access and full keyboard. I intend to use it with my current basic (voice only) AT&T family plan. Personally, the most compelling reasons to buy a Blackberry are the web-related features (browsing, etc.), but I am usually in range of a Wi-Fi network. As a result, I feel that a data plan may be an unnecessary expense if it can be avoided.

Here's the big issue: I think that some of the available applications would be useful. but I've been told that App World may require a data plan to download and use apps. Is this true? If so, are there any workarounds? Obviously, I'm not looking for illegal ways to get apps. I'd just like to know whether they can be downloaded without a data plan.

Thanks for any help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ismailzali

Re: Is App World accessible with a Wi-Fi connection?

Another reason I'm asking is that I've heard and seen conflicting reports concerning this. For example, it seems that App World is inaccessible without a data plan, or at least it is for AT&T Blackberry devices. However, an April press release by RIM states that "Users can conveniently access BlackBerry App World over both Wi-Fi and cellular networks." Has there been a change since April, or is this still true?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

ismailzali wrote:

Here's the big issue: I think that some of the available applications would be useful. but I've been told that App World may require a data plan to download and use apps. Is this true? If so, are there any workarounds?

yes this is true. The workaround is to use a competitor.

I don't know about the Wi-Fi stuff, I do read that in the link you posted, but never read someone downloading applications over Wi-Fi in AppWorld.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,950
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

It is my clear understanding, still, that an active data plan is required on the device.

With that, App World will work over your WiFi network.

Your other options are such as www.mobihand.com

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ismailzali

[ Edited ]

Alright, thank you both for the help. Just to make sure I understand this correctly, App World is just one app store that Blackberrys work with, and not all app stores out there require data plans to work with a Blackberry device, right?

Another question: Will Blackberry phones from T-Mobile, or unlocked Blackberrys, end up getting detected by AT&T and pegged with a mandatory data plan?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,950
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Well, that's sorta two questions, or at least two answers.

ALL BlackBerrys required a BlackBerry Data Plan for full internet, push email, etc., for full function, regardless of carrier or unlocked/locked status.

Likewise, of late, ATT has begun to require (like Verizon has for years) the addition of the BlackBerry Data Plan on any new BlackBerrys sold in the ATT retail stores. If you bring your own device, ATT does not require that.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.