Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Contributor
Dominic
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

My BB 8900 often does not recognise the name calling.

My BB 8900 most times does not show the name of the person calling yet it always shows the name in the call log after the call has ended.  The unusual thing about this is that it is not consistent - sometimes it recognises a particular name and other times it only shows the number.  However it always shows the name in the call log afterwards.  I'd appreciate any help in solving this as it is very annoying not knowing who is calling you.  Thank you.  Dominic.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My BB 8900 often does not recognise the name calling.

There could be any one of three solutions... Try these:

1. Make sure you set your own country code at Phone Dialer Screen > Options > Smart dialing.
Set your country code in this format: "+xx" where xx = your country code. Some countries have two or three digit Country Codes. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.
* In the US, set this Country Code as "+1", and place your loca area code in the proper box (this normally the default setting in a new BB).

2. At the same location, change the National Number Length to the number of digits for your country (since some countries will have less than 10 as set as the default in the BB). Find out the total digits, minus the country code. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.
* For example, some countries have a total number to 8 (plus 3 for country code). You would enter "8".

3. You may have "Content Protection" set on your Address Book.
Look at Options > Security > General Settings. Scroll down to Content Protection > Include Address Book = NO.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Dominic
My Device: Not Specified

Re: My BB 8900 often does not recognise the name calling.

Thank you for that advice.  I have made the changes suggested, 1 was OK but 2 and 3 needed to be changed.  I have tested it with 2 calls from known numbers and the name was displayed both times so it may well have sorted out the problem.  However, as I said earlier, it is an intermittent problem - sometimes the name is shown and other times it's not shown.  So I won't know whether or not it is sorted until I have received a number of calls.  Thanks again.  I will let you know if it has worked.  Regards,  Dominic.