Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Contributor
mlautens
My Device: Tour 9630 OS 5.0.0.591

Re: Problem: AppWorld 1.1.0.35 Icon Disappeared After Update

The only way to return to a previous version that I can think of would be if you'd backed up your apps using the "device switch, cancel halfway through" method.

But even that might not restore the App World icon, depending on what's glitched. The app IS installed, it seems, just the icon to start the damned thing is missing.

The best thing we can do at this point is to continue posting until we get some greens replying in here that it's being worked on. Make noise so they understand this is a widespread problem. I've posted on our Facebook page, Twitter'd it as well, and I'll talk about it on the air for next week's radio show, to warn people away from the update. (I work for the Into Tomorrow show. We cover consumer technology and are carried over Sirius/XM and about 160 radio stations. So that'll help get the word out. :smileyhappy: )

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

Hello to all,

While you may already have attempted this, I can't be positive, so I'll post for all:

1) Remove AppWorld from your BB (Homescreen > Options > (Advanced Options in some OS levels) > Applications) -- if it requests that you reboot the BB, do so.

2) Do a proper Batt-Pull reboot (with power ON, remove the battery)

3) Get a new link and install a fresh copy of AppWorld

• Again, if it requests to reboot, do so.

4) Do another Batt-Pull reboot

5) See if it now appears (be sure to check both the installed Applications list in Options, be sure you don't have the icon hidden, be sure the icon isn't in some stray subfolder to the Homescreen).

Given everything I've read so far, I am not actually hopeful about this process. I do know that for many the update goes just fine (it did for mine). So it's not a universal problem. I agree that folks should keep posting in this thread in the hopes that RIM will see it all and do what is necessary to help recover.

However, to help RIM, please be sure that you post the following details:

• Your specific device model number
  • Your specific carrier
  • Your country
  • Your specific device OS level (all 4 octets, found on Homescreen > Options > About, the third line of information, and it will look something like "v5.0.0.419 (Platform 4.2.0.179)"
  • Confirmation of the fact that you have indeed attempted the above clean removal and re-installation of the latest version of AppWorld.
  • Confirmation of the version number for AppWorld that shows on your installed applications list (Homescreen > Options > (Advanced Options on some OS levels) > Applications)
  • Confirmation that you have thoroughly searched your BB for the icon (no hidden, searched all sub folders, etc.)

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mlautens

In terms of how universal the problem is...

I haven't seen anyone posting here with a Curve yet. Bolds, Tours, and Storms. Also, no one with anything except the 5.0 OS. So that might narrow it down a bit?

I know it's more than just Verizon, though, since I've seen Bold 9700s listed and Verizon doesn't carry that.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mlautens

Oh, and @sdgardne, for what it's worth that is the EXACT procedure I followed when things started going wrong. I wouldn't expect others to have better luck, but it is certainly worth trying for anyone who hasn't done it yet.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Damion
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Im with telus running OS 5.0.0.419 on a storm 9530

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

Damion wrote:

Im with telus running OS 5.0 on a storm

Please post ALL of the details I listed, including all 4 octets of your OS..."OS 5.0" does not say enough.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

No problems here. .35 Appworld installed and appeared after the first reboot. 9520/5.0.0.607 on ATT. I don't know that screaming will help. RIM is on it. Stating succinctly your model, OS and carrier makes much more sense. A direct BlackBerry browser link to download is www.blackberry.com/appworld

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mlautens

@JSanders, RIM is "on it?" We all see your "guru" status, which I guess means you help out a lot in the forums. So I don't want to disrespect that.

Are you confirming that a RIM employee has told you directly that they are aware of the issue, and are looking into it? Please understand that before I speak about this on our radio broadcast, I want to know who I am citing. Are you a RIM employee, or do you speak for RIM? Or would this just be a "sources say" RIM is working on a fix quote? I try to be accurate, and give complete information. :smileyhappy:

As for us "screaming," please cite one message here that has screamed, or done anything other than trying to keep the topic bumped to the top of the forum. Fact is, that does you a great service. When others having the problem come to the forum and see this thread on the top, they will know that it is not just them, and will tend to be MORE patient, I think. They also will post here in this thread, as opposed to opening dozens of new threads. Thus, when an answer is found and posted here, it only needs to be posted once, no?

Not a single one of us has screamed, unless you consider frequent posts to be "screaming." If such is the case, that is your error in perception, and I cannot fix that.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ensantos
My Device: Not Specified

On 6/11 - I received a message (which I assumed was a PIN Message) for an upgrade for the BB AppWorld.  Clicked on the link which advised that there was version 1.1.0.35 available.  Ever since then, and following the required device reboot, the icon has been MIA.  I have looked for it everywhere in the numerous folders, with the "SHOW ALL" checked, even though it shows in the "Setting>Options>AppList>Add-On" list of apps.  The Desktop Manager > App Loader shows the app and its two modules:  net_rim_bb_appworld, and net_rim_bb_appworld_resource_en (Installed version 1.1.0.35)...

I have gone through the "normal" process of deleting the app, rebooting the device (Batt-Reboot, and app install reboot now), reinstalled it. etc.  Have tried the download from the device and also from downloading the http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=appworld via web browser...etc.  No BBAW icon to be found.

I even restored from a backup from 6/10 (prior to receiving the BB upgrade notification)...no success there either.  My carrier is AT&T.

Platform Version: 5.1.0.112

Application Version: 5.0.0.405

Model: 9700

Screen Resolution: 480X360

Total App Space: 250M (Free 106.2M).

To say this has been frustrating is an understatement.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brinsf111
My Device: Tour 9630

Tried the solution above to no avail :mansad:

• Verizon
  • USA
  • v5.0.0.591 (Bundle 1059, Platform 4.2.0.2840
  • Yes -- Confirmation of the fact that you have indeed attempted the above clean removal and re-installation of the latest version of AppWorld.
  • AppWorld ver 1.1.0.35(size 745780 Bytes)
  • Yes -- Confirmation that you have thoroughly searched your BB for the icon (no hidden, searched all sub folders, etc.)
Please use plain text.