Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Contributor
cath27
My Device: Not Specified

Problem on Storm

I cannot get AppWorld to download either through my Storm or through the PC. I click on the PC link and I go to another page - but nothing downloads. My phone is connected before I do this.

I get an error message if I try to do this directly through my phone. Not a very good start. The iPhone is looking better every day!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problem on Storm

cath27 wrote:

I cannot get AppWorld to download either through my Storm or through the PC. I click on the PC link and I go to another page - but nothing downloads. My phone is connected before I do this.

I get an error message if I try to do this directly through my phone. Not a very good start. The iPhone is looking better every day!

Care to share that error message with us here, and see IF we can help you?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cath27

The error was failed to download.

However, I have finally gotten it to download - but why were those many hoops to jump through first. When I click the link to get the download - I had to go through several more links before I could actually download.

The page form the PC link is missing the actual "Download" button that finally appeared when I accessed it through my phone.

Now that I am able to access - I was disappointed to see that there are only 14 apps - most of which I already have.

RIM has not done a very good job with this

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
HighRoad
My Device: Bold 9000

Hi Cath27,

There are many more than 14 Applications in the App World. When you first open the App World the default view is for "Featured Items" of which these is 14. If you hit the menu key you will see "Categories" "Top Downloads" and "Search". Currently there are 481 Applications listed in the Categories.

BlackBerry Certification
Having the Knowledge is One Thing. Demonstrating It is Another
http://www.blackberry.com/certification
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
atkinsr

Can you please tell me how you got it to download? I've been struggling with this all day.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

cath27 wrote:

Now that I am able to access - I was disappointed to see that there are only 14 apps - most of which I already have.

RIM has not done a very good job with this

You keep repeating that. We get your drift. You don't like RIM. Hopefully, if you will keep an open mind you will begin to enjoy your time with the BlackBerry.

There are over 350 apps that I actually counted this morning... look in the categories, explore and enjoy.

And good luck with it all.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ryzilla23
My Device: Storm 9530

[ Edited ]

atkinsr wrote:
Can you please tell me how you got it to download? I've been struggling with this all day.

go to www.blackberry.com/appworld/download from your BB browser and download the app OTA.

Make sure your browser is set to identify as BB, not IE or Firefox. 

Message Edited by ryzilla23 on 04-01-2009 12:52 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
atkinsr

That worked. Here's the issue with the OTA download on the Storm (Support - you may want to make note of this on the download page.. I've been struggling with this all day and I'm sure there are plenty of others going through the same thing):

There are two options on the browser:

browser: internet browser or blackberry

browser identification: blackberry, firefox, or internet explorer.

I had browser identification set to blackberry, but browser set to intermet browser.

As soon as I set Browser to Blackberry, it worked just fine.

It appears that *both* "Browser" and "Browser Identification" must be set to "Blackberry".

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cath27

Thank you for your help - I will look for categories. I will try to keep an open mind, but RIM has a lot to learn about making their site user friendly.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cath27

OK - I clicked Categories and I am waiting. It says it's loading but it's been about 10 minutes so far. I stopped it once and retried. It appears to be hung up.
Please use plain text.