Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Puzzling App World website deficiencies

I've been anxiously awaiting the launch of BBAW, but I was disappointed when I saw the website: 

Either there is no way to browse through all available apps from your PC, or else there is a grand total of 20 apps available.

The list of 20 "featured apps" shows no screenshots. Each app icon has a short paragraph describing the product. Amusingly, many/most of those paragraphs end with ellipses:

quote:
AOL Instant Messenger™ for BlackBerry® smartphones can combine the fun and functionality of instant messaging (IM) with powerful BlackBerry smartphones...
yet there is no link to click through to read the rest of the paragraph.

Does anyone else see an obvious link for the hundreds of apps that are pictured in the background of that first page?

Also, the "Get Blackberry Appworld" link goes to this page which says:
quote:
From your BlackBerry smartphone
Simply visit www.blackberry.com/appworld/download from your smartphone to download.

But that URL is not a hyperlink on the actual blackberry.com page. You can't click it. You have to hit the blackberry button, choose Go To . . . and type it in. Except that, on a BB, the Go To . . . page obscures the page you're currently on, so you can't visually copy the URL as you're typing. You have to memorize it or write it down.

Also, that Get Blackberry page doesn't render properly on the Bold. The layout is completely screwed up.

If RIM doesn't want to write a full-fledged desktop client ala iTunes, they should at least have a browser-based app browser where the user can tag desired applications and then send the whole bundle as a single link (or set of links) via email to the BB.  I see you can do that for the first 20 "featured" apps, but there isn't enough information on that page to decide whether they're worth sending, and I'd really like to see _all_ the available apps from my browser. A 15" widescreen is much better for previewing a lot of information than a 2" x 3" screen.

I'd really like to see what's out there in BBAW, but right now the experience is _really_ frustrating and purchase-inhibiting. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Puzzling App World website deficiencies

stevenkan wrote:
Either there is no way to browse through all available apps from your PC, or else there is a grand total of 20 apps available.

Yes that is the whole point of the AppWorld. you must use your device to browse the applications.

stevenkan wrote:

Does anyone else see an obvious link for the hundreds of apps that are pictured in the background of that first page?

There is no such link.

stevenkan wrote:
Also, the "Get Blackberry Appworld" link goes to this page which says:
quote:
From your BlackBerry smartphone
Simply visit www.blackberry.com/appworld/download from your smartphone to download.

But that URL is not a hyperlink on the actual blackberry.com page. You can't click it. You have to hit the blackberry button, choose Go To . . . and type it in. Except that, on a BB, the Go To . . . page obscures the page you're currently on, so you can't visually copy the URL as you're typing. You have to memorize it or write it down.

when you are browsing that page, you can copy the text link, then open the Goto window and simply paste the link.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Solutions: 6,095
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Puzzling App World website deficiencies

I don't doubt that RIM might expand AppWorld at some point to a PC page, I just don't know.

It seems to me that it would create another whole basket of works with people downloading apps to their PC which would never work on their BB. Likewise, even if you could not purchase or download from the PC, the AW client filters out apps that are not compatible with certain models, so there again, another issue when a user were to see an app on the PC, that again is not present on their BB.

But for now, it is what it is. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the iPhone :smiley:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code