Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World

Contributor
deviance
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Three UK

Question/Suggestion about Apps

[ Edited ]

I'm quite new to the forums but I would like to ask a question to the staff or anyone who can answer:

-Is there one particular section where we can ask you (Blackberry) or easily find information about:

a) the status of an upcoming app (i.e. if there is any release date etc.) for BB10?

b) if a certain app will be coming to BBWorld in the future if at all?

c) requesting that the BB App Dev Team look into bringing a certain app to BB10 in the future?

Furthermore, if there is no one central location to do so then maybe it would be a good idea to have one sticky topic/thread in this forum to do this instead of having like 1834739291718 different threads.

That way, in the original post in that thread can just be updated by staff on the status of such things so that people can check there first before going about making new posts all about the same thing. I think it would make life easier both for you guys and us and keep the forums cleaner? 

Just a thought. :smileyhappy:

Btw, please don't think I'm trying to tell anyone how to their job or anything. Just trying to be helpful. :smileyembarrassed:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Question/Suggestion about Apps

Hi there,

While an excellent idea and certainly information that everyone would be interested in, I see a few problems:

1) This site is not intended for any formal information from RIM whatsoever. Rather, it is a user-to-user community of users helping other users.

2) This site specifically prohibits release of any forward looking information from BlackBerry, of which what you suggest would definitely I think fall into.

That said, I see nothing wrong with the app developer perhaps participating and providing such information. Then again, I do not know the restrictions under which they operate, as they have a separate contractual arrangement and communication channels with BlackBerry.

Again, what you suggest is a great thought...I just think that it would sadly be in contradiction to the very Ts and Cs of this site, and therefore would require those to change in order for your idea to be accommodated. And we all know how tough it can be to get contractual documents changed!

Anyway...good idea, and keep them coming!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
deviance

[ Edited ]

Ah. I learned something new there today. Thanks for the insight. :smileyhappy:

So then my next question is, how/where do we actually let BB know of bugs/issues we come across that are persistent and definitely require attention?

And what I mean is that in a way that we know that, as avid BB users (and shareholders - at least some of us ;-)), that something is being done with all this feedback that the users take a lot of effort in letting BB know.

(Edit: especially with long time BB fans eager to help BB outdo Win8 devices and head up back to the top of the ladder.)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, that depends...

• If, as you started this with, the issue is with an app, then you submit that to the app developer, contact information for which should be displayed on the AppWorld catalog page. They in turn would be responsible for whatever methods of communications they have.
  • If the issue is the device itself, then you work through your warranty service provider -- which can vary depending on region. Your case would be tracked, for you, within the provisions of your warranty...but I doubt that release of your issue/information would ever be made to others.
  • If the issue is the OS, then you work with your mobile service provider (assuming you are using their sanctioned OS level). Likewise, your issue would be tracked for you.

BlackBerry regularly releases and maintains the Public Knowledge Base of helpful information. Often, for new issues, those are listed as "no resolution at this time", but that serves as notice that they at least know of the situation.

If what you really desire is access to a JIRA or bug tracking database, I highly doubt such would be publicly released...just think of what the competition would do with that information.

Lastly...please understand that everything I say here is likewise unofficial, and purely my own personal observations and assumptions. As such, it cannot be taken as truly authoritative...for no one here can actually provide such, under the Ts and Cs of the site.

Cheers!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
deviance

I like you.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Why thank you!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

deviance wrote:

Furthermore, if there is no one central location to do so then maybe it would be a good idea to have one sticky topic/thread in this forum to do this instead of having like 1834739291718 different threads.

This is a very good question!

I am not saying I think about it every morning, but nearly.

One central location, why not. We could ask the community manager to create an additional "Missing Downloaded apps for BlackBerry 10 phones" board. The problem is that currently, there is :

• a general BlackBerry 10 board
  • a Z10 board
  • a BB10 apps board
  • a BB10 accessories board
  • a BlackBerry Link board
  • a BlackBerry World for BB10 board

which is in my opinion a lot already, and most people go post directly to the Z10 board. And you can hardly "educate" people who come on a forum to post 2 or 3 messages and leave when they have their answers.

I love order, I love to have a tidied set of Z10 boards, but the reality principle shatters all that.

Until the "BB10 apps" board contains more than 1000 conversations, I do not think it is a good idea to split it (currently 145 conversations).

But it is a good idea to convince people to post in that board when it is about apps. :smileywink:

one sticky thread:

My personal experience on the forum yells: "No, not a good idea. At all."

Look at the discussions right now. Dozens of people will complain for the lack of Skype / Netflix, and 1 person will complain about the lack of Shazam.

There is no reason to bury a given app facing the "most wanted apps".

Now, to broaden the intellectual reasoning :smileywink:

From a "fanboy" perspective (I am one, so no pejorative idea behind that), it is a great idea to maintain a list of all the apps that are not available. But from an end user perspective, they don't care about that. What they care about is the small set of 2-3 apps that is missing for their own use. So I think it is better for them to maintain the idea of "1 discussion deals with 1 app only".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.