Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World

New Contributor
buzburbank
My Device: Q10

Sensibility of not buying BB10 phone until specific app is released

I am itching to give the Q10 a go and have been for months, but now that its finally available for Verizon I am not yet pulling the trigger because, of all things, I am a bit underwhelmed by the selection of apps.  Yet, for all of the app wish-list threads I have read, I haven't seen anyone come out and say that they are absolutely not upgrading devices until a specific title becomes available.

For my own sanity, I want to know if anyone is literally holding off on a BB10 device purchase pending the release of one or more apps.  And if so, what title(s) is(are) driving your decision?  Bigger question...are apps (or the lack thereof) adversely affecting phone sales, and could this kind of stubbornness actually hurt BB in the short term?  In other words, despite the holdouts, will the Q10 launch be strong enough to sustain the brand AND spur additional app development in the medium-long term?

For me, I need my daily fix of the New York Times Crossword.  Per Magmic, they "are working on it and should be available shortly."  Even setting aside the addiction, I have purchased an extended subscription renewal, and it seems pointless to go weeks or months without the game that I've already paid for.  But I still want to do my tiny part to help ensure the success of BB10 in the US, and, as usual, the allure of the new and shiny is unmistakable.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Sensibility of not buying BB10 phone until specific app is released

[ Edited ]

There seems to be some talk about the lack of apps available on BB10 phones.  While I sympathize with you, let's put things in perspective.  BB10 is a completely new OS.  It's not something that's been dusted off, polished a bit and put on the market; it's completely new from the ground up.  A few years ago there was another brand new phone built from scratch called the iPhone.  At launch in July of 2008, it had 500 apps available.  Google Play (formerly Android Market) launched in October of 2008 and had about 2000 apps.  BlackBerry World (formerly BlackBerry App World) launched with the new BB10 phones in January of 2013 and had 70,000 apps at launch.  So as you can see, 500 vs. 2000 vs. 70,000......well, you can see that BlackBerry really isn't lacking.

Now, 70,000 apps is impressive but if the ONE app you desire isn't there yet, it doesn't matter if there are ten million apps, right?  All I can say to that is be patient.  New apps are being offered by BlackBerry each and every day and it's only a matter of time before your favorite app will appear there.

I say go ahead and get that Q10 you're itching for.  Who knows, you might find many other interesting apps in the meantime.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.