Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

willstef01
My Device: Not Specified

Silverlight Support

With a growing number of Silverlight enabled websites/services coming online, are there plans for BB support for the Silverlight plugin?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Silverlight Support

Silverlight for iPhone, yes

Silverlight for BlackBerry, no.

for your information Silverlight is still non-existent compared fo Flash !

Flash for BlackBerry : yes, work under progress

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jacodv
My Device: 9700

Is this still the case, or will the release of SL4 change your view?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

not really.

check here : http://riastats.com/

you can see that for 20 million daily single connections:

• 97% support Adobe Flash (at least one version)
  • 73% support Java applets (at least one version)
  • 66% support Microsoft Silverlight (at least one version)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SussexFlyer
My Device: Not Specified

I've seen less of a blinkered view on the 4:40 at Epsom

Either way (or is that each way), the application I want to access is Silverlight hosted, not Flash or Java.

Blackberry and third party applications brings ostrich and sand to mind.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

let's turn things with a different point of view: everytime a company releases an application that is based on Silverlight, it forces the customers/clients/users to use a device that has signed a partnership with Microsoft to be able to use a Silverlight client.

Such a company must be either very confident with the quality of the application, or simply disrespectful towards the liberty of their customers/client/users (which is in the end the same idea at two different levels).

It's like a car maker saying "you can only use my car on roads that are approved by my tire maker".

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tonyjohn
My Device: Curve

Xandrex, Are you very confident of Blackberry or just being disrespectful to customers/clients/users/developers of Silverlight? Practicing what you preach does go a long way in helping people take your comments seriously. Have of heard of a company called Netflix? Do you know what is the single source of their revenue and their growth statistics? Talk about putting all your eggs in the same basket. If you cant learn from them then you are just being ignorant and biased. Then you are unfair.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

@tonyjohn

Silverlight is limited to people using Microsoft Windows, does not work for people who have honestly paid for Windows 2000 and do not require Windows XP/7/Vista features. Those people can enjoy the latest Adobe Flash update. Those legit Microsoft clients are not allowed to use Silverlight.
I am indeed disrespectful at the whole Silverlight project.

And about Netflix... do you know that TV drama from South Korea "Winter Sonata" was viewed in 6 years by more than 2 billion people across the world? that is 2000 million people.
Netflix that is only available in two countries in the world, not including mine. Netflix users is not even 20 million users, and can use used in only two contries in the world.
I think I have a right to absolutely not care about Silverlight and even less about Netflix.

97% of machines connected to the Internet can do Adobe Flash. Only 73% support at least one version of Silverlignt. Perspectives, perspectives...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bobmmp
My Device: Storm

A lot of time has passed since this thread has started.  Granted that Flash is larger and more popular than the Silverlight.  However, When Android, IPhone, IPad, and Windows Phone 7 all have silverlight, flash and html 5, plus many of us use applications and websites that only have a sliverlight option like Hudl, the premiere high school and college athletic game footage company.  By making limited chooses available, you are limiting potential buyer.  I am not going to own two tablets, my first choice is the playbook, but having to watch game footage as a coach on the road, I am not going to own two tablets.  Lack of market share equals lack of quality apps, lack of quality apps means lace of sales.  500,000 sales in a quarter vs. millions in a quarter?  How long can a device survive?  Limited appeal means limited sales.

Personally I am giving Rim until September to deliver and the promise of releasing a native email, calendaring, task application and BBM as promised "This summer" for the playbook, a hint at supporting silverlight and news of other improvements or it is time to forget about Playbook and move on to a tablet that will do what I need it to do instead of limited and narrow minded insight.  This applies to anyother blackberry device including getting rid of my storm and storm 2 phones.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bobmmp
My Device: Storm

And to show how your market market ignorance and bias is places, flash is not supported on the ipad at all.  You have to install a third party browser like Skyfire on the ipad to get any flash support.  OK, now lets see.  What are Blackberry Playbook and Android Tablets sales figures vs. iPad for the last quarter?  Where is Blackberry's market share and which way is it going? 

Like I said in an earlier reply, I would love to own an Playbook and not an android or ipad device, however, market conditions and playbook not being ready for prime time is forcing me to look at the other two options.

Please use plain text.